Google have just released Instant Search (details) for the US and a few countries if you're signed in. Very cool stuff.

What's also cool is that it works (slowly) on MicroB. Go to http://www.google.com/webhp?sclient=psy (probably whilst being signed in). Probably not very useful at the speed it goes, but it's nice to know Maemo is ahead of the rest - Google say it's coming to mobiles this fall.

Update: it seems like it actually works pretty well. When you press the down key the updates come (almost) immediately.

Last edited by dave1010; 2010-09-08 at 18:01. Reason: Added better URL and down key note

Update: here's an image:

it's definitely faster on a real computer, but it's pretty good on the n900 too

I noticed the same. Neither iOS nor Android worked.

/Z

Very fast on my OCed N900 - I would say maybe 1/2 second lag between typing and suggestions.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NC, USA
For some reason it doesn't work for me. I am logged in and on a fast connection.

Edit: It works in Firefox, but not MicroB or Opera.

Last edited by prattmic; 2010-09-09 at 01:49.

It seems to matter if you are logged into your "countrys" google or "google.com". The thing is that if I by default go to "google.com" it reirects to "google.se", but if you look at the bottom there is (perhaps temporarily, for this reason, I dunno, I never noticed it before) a "go to google.com in English" button, and if you click that, you get to it also on MicroB.

I was confused on my desktop machine coz I got google instant to work on firefox but not on chrome, but it turned out to be for the same reason (one was showing google.com the other google.se even though I had typed google.com in both)

/Z

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NC, USA
Hmm, I am definitely on "google.com" (I'm in the US anyway), and logged in, yet I still can't get it to work. I wonder if there is a specific URL you can go to force it to turn on?

The special URL is http://www.google.com/webhp?sclient=psy - I guess the "psy" is chort for psychic. Works for me, logged in, in the UK.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by dave1010 View Post
The special URL is http://www.google.com/webhp?sclient=psy - I guess the "psy" is chort for psychic. Works for me, logged in, in the UK.
That works in microB for OS2008/Diablo as well.
I wouldn't call it lightning fast..but, it works.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Tags
browser, google, microb