Active Topics

Poll: Should I Keep the N900 or get the N8?
Poll Options
Should I Keep the N900 or get the N8?

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
Well, I have both N8 & N900.

I prefer using the N900 for texting, internet access and day-to-day use because of the hardware keyboard.. The N8 lacks this- and I personally love the N900's keyboard too much..

N8 is great.. It has a great camera, nice apps/games and 'proper' support from Nokia (well until now anyways).. The OS is still 'old', but apparantly new UI and features are on the way... but as I said, the N900 has a keyboard, a better OS (more powerful...) and a community which you can always refer too...

I use my N8 as a second phone- mainly for taking pictures, OVI maps and games, but the N900 is my real phone/mobile computer.

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I recently pulled the usb port out of my n900 and was told it couldn't be repaired, even under warranty. After a bit of a kick off to vodafone, they offered me an n8 so I said ok. I have since sent the n900 off for repair after being told it can be fixed and should be covered. Only after using another not so smart phone do you realise quite how brilliant the n900 is. N8 problems. Crap browser, I mean truly crap, no open link in new window, mobile instead of desktop sites, horrible ui. Camera has built in compression, 1mb pics from 12mp sensor? This can be overcome with a mod which does make the camera brilliant. Hdmi is not that much better than video out. I really miss the hardware keyboard. You think the maemo email client is bad? And last, apart from a few admittedly good games, the app store is useless compared to maemo extras, testing and dev. No tv guide, no stellarium. And it's only 16gb. Wait till symbian pr 2 comes out and see if they improve the browser, if not wait, you will be disappointed. I really hope they fix my n900, I now really appreciate how good it is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Don't give Nokia any more of your money, they make shoddy products and the N8 is a prime example of their garbage output over the preceding few years.

I suggest plugging for one of the giant HTCs (HD2, HD7 or Desire HD).

I have the HD2, and you can flash Desire's Android ROM to nand as you can WinMo7. Both run perfectly, and you have a choice of flavours, including the various Desire roms as well as os without HTC Sense. Hard wearing, durable, GOOD LOOKING and USABLE, decent battery life (keeps up with the current handsets in that regard), decent price.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
I suggest plugging for one of the giant HTCs (HD2, HD7 or Desire HD).
I also read HTC has one of the highest SAR ratings!

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
My wife has an N8 and it's a pretty good device. The actual phone functions are the best you can get and it's also a handy little media beast.

What I like best about it is its media center capability via hdmi-out.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I posted this in another thread but it still holds true:

Code:
 I did the change from N900 to Nokia N8, just got it few days ago (company bought for us) and I am glad with it. Even though N8's browser infuriates me at times I hope that with the new update things will get better.

My girlfriend she has a Nokia N8 and, recently, we have traveled to greece and I was amazed at the pictures it took. 

What is awesome in the N8:
+Camera (o'rlly?)
+HDMI+Mouse support (in greece we used as our photo editor/email/browsing)
+3rd party apps (Yes I am shallow... I like spotify, foursquare, nokia big screen etc)
+Nokia Support: Either Ovi services (maps/mail/online/suite)
+Battery life

What I dont like:
-Calendar: N900 calendar it is still miles ahead in easy of use compared to the N8. Maybe some getting used to it still.
-UI feels clunky, even though snappier than N900

What I miss from N900:
+Browsing
+Skype integration
+The extra GBs of onboard memory

What I dont:
-Lack of Nokia support for its own services (Calendar/Maps/Suite/etc)
-Lack of 3rd party apps (I am not talking about tertminal-script-ish apps)

N900 was a lot of fun when I got because I was so excited to develop for it. But this whole platform change really turned me down. I can not say I have been burned by jumping head first but I want what a more mature platform offers me.

I had an iPhone and hated the way the phone controlled me. My next phone, if not a Symbian or MeeGo, would be an Android.

---------
I guess my point is depends what you want your phone to do for you. Nokia N8 performs very well and even impresses me sometimes
I guess that the N8/E7 you might think of things to come. Nokia will be releasing newer versions of Symbian and updating that to the existing phones, in fact 1.1 is out with few improvements.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...957#post922957

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
get an HTC Desire Z..

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I also read HTC has one of the highest SAR ratings!
Cancer is a price anyone is willing to pay once they've experienced these fantastic handsets.

Originally Posted by kulas View Post
get an HTC Desire Z..
Yes it is a very nice mobile phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
Thanks for the suggestions. It is obvious that the majority of this community would keep their N900s. The n900 is a powerful device. But for some reason I am eager to get the N8. I have been a Nokia fan since 1996 and have always tried to get the latest Nokia products as soon as possible. I guess I am an addict.
Good news for international buyers. The phone is no longer only restricted to US Buyers, it is now open to international buyers as well
http://bit.ly/myebayitems

The limited ability to customize the n8 home screen/widgets is a big let down after using the n900, imo. You can only put 6 widgets or so on each screen and they must go in a given grid format (6x1 in portrait and 2x3 in landscape, i believe).

Tags
symbian burns, w7p rains