Based on my exploits, a guide to "repartition" the N900:

http://sumoudou.org/0/5.html

BEWARE: if you mess up in any single step, you'll brick your N900, and will have to reflash, so not for the meek. You're on your own.

But I did it this way, so it works.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Is there a way to make re-size the 2G app partition to some what bigger than 2G? like 4G i think.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Based on my exploits, a guide to "repartition" the N900:

http://sumoudou.org/0/5.html
I recognise that site! Wasn't it you who provided a titchy linux image for the HTC Universal there? Hours of fun! Thanks for that! :-)

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Is there a way to make re-size the 2G app partition to some what bigger than 2G? like 4G i think.
You could, I think, basically, what you'd need to do is go half way in my guide.

Right at the start where you unmount /home/usr/MyDocs, you'd go into fdisk, remove partition one, create a smaller one, by the amount that you wish to increase the FAT section. Then follow on through.

Then when you go into fdisk later on to change partition 2 to c type, you would first delete this partition and create a new one taking up the whole free space, then follow the rest.

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
I recognise that site! Wasn't it you who provided a titchy linux image for the HTC Universal there? Hours of fun! Thanks for that! :-)
Yeah, it's me

Glad you had fun with the Universal, now let's have much more profound fun with this device...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
One thing to test is to overwrite some of the SDK packages with device equivalents. Since you're not booting the chroot it's not as dangerous.

Well, the chroot is fine, I mean I'm using it for compilation as we write now, no probs, and that's all I need it for, and being on the SD there's no space limit...

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ chicago usa
so you would type all those in the rootsh correct?

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Lausanne, CH
Not sure if this would be helpful, but....
I used to have a Zaurus (well, 's still there but dead battery), which had rather limited internal flash memory. To enable users to
a) boot other OS without reflashing,
b) overcome the limit of the built-in memory, and
c) to protect the internal memory from wearing out
they used pivot_root to swap the root fs during boot up to one supplied on a e.g. SD card.
The man page of pivot_root explains the basic procedure...

PS: no N900 here yet, otherwise would have tried it myself.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by demirole View Post
they used pivot_root to swap the root fs during boot up to one supplied on a e.g. SD card.
We use bootmenu here, which afaik does something like that.