Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Vlad_on_the_road View Post
I don't feel the need for such feature as I'm quite skeptish regarding the usability of the device on desktop mode. What about powering the device while the usb port is used to output screen ? Would it be possible ?
Yes (assuming the external adapter has that ability, from http://de.slimportconnect.com/ - "You can even charge your batteries during playback when using DisplayPort and HDMI adaptors." )

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
What's unclear to me with SlimPort yet: can the peripheral (monitor) transfer data from e.g. own touchscreen or an USB-attached mouse and kbd to the Neo900.
Obviously you can't use Neo900's USB hostmode/OTG while SlimPort connector attached.
Even when a AUX data is implemented on hw side, the kernel drivers for ANX7805 must support a pointerdevice/HID/USB provided via displayport

re charging: yes, according to the adapters' descriptions they all come with a micro-USB receptacle to feed power to the device. The adapter itself doesn't need external power. See e.g. http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/37046-Ana...ws.htm#reviews

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-09 at 18:41.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all the people dreaming of the Neo900 as a laptop replacement please keep this in mind:

1. Your "laptop" will come with a 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, which puts it roughly on par with a Beagle Board (800MHz).
Even if you can use OpenGL ES, e.g. via xbmc (a very fast video player according to my experience - roughly on par with mplayer and a lot faster than vlc) it will barely be able to play big buck bunny at 480p [1].
If you want to use it as a laptop you'll likely want to use desktop software. Assuming a lot of it comes straight from Debian armhf without any Neo900-specific enhancements (due to manpower shortage) the CPU will be a severe bottleneck compared to an Atom netbook. At least that's what my Easy Debian experiments tell me. Regular 3D software (OpenGL) wil be totaly out of the question.

2. All that wouldn't be that much of a problem if it weren't for one thing:
To turn your Neo900 into a laptop you'll need a bunch of adapters. At least you'll need SlimPort to Whatever. To be on the safe side you also need a display cable, a USB adapter for peripherals, most likely a USB hub (probably self-powered) and a power pack.
The thing is, in the bag you need to carry all those adapters you could likely put a proper netbook which would not only be magnitudes faster but also magnitudes cheaper.

That being said, I'd love to see SlimPort (or what ever fits best) in the Neo900, mainly because I love the idea of a feature monster and don't care that much about the money.
But please keep your expectations realistic! The N900 is a poor phone and the Neo900 will be an even worse laptop. It has the potential to be a great sensor platform (tricoder [2] anyone?) and will probably be the next-best thing to a full-grown computer whenever a netbook is too bulky (at least that's how I use my N900).

I'd hate to see this forum (and the rest of the internet) being flooded two years from now with complaints about how disappointing the Neo900 is as a laptop.
And I also have all these people in mind who are already struggling to find the money for the Neo900.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Obviously you can't use Neo900's USB hostmode/OTG while SlimPort connector attached.
Sorry, to me that's not so obvious. Could you explain this please?
If plans haven't changed the port would be placed somewhere in the spacer frame, right? So why would that conflict with USB, assuming SlimPort is not physically too close to USB?

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYq7f-CrnOc
[2] http://rethinkmedical.com/tricorder.html

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Sorry, to me that's not so obvious. Could you explain this please?
If plans haven't changed the port would be placed somewhere in the spacer frame, right? So why would that conflict with USB, assuming SlimPort is not physically too close to USB?
SlmPort is all about re-using microUSB port. SlimPort port is in fact nothing else than augmented microUSB port.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
hmmmm, I just grabbed my caliper and checked the next best micro-USB plug: ~1.9mm high. Maybe placing an additional micro-USB into spacer frame isn't that bizarre an idea after all, though it for sure not been what I initially thought of.
What I evidently thought of quite some time ago been to put an additional SIM slot-in tray on the spacer frame (alas for now we don't see much use in that, due to modem not supporting multi-SIM). So I should get used to that concept, no matter what the particular component/function, be it a SIMslot or a connector.

Now for the bad news: I couldn't find suppliers for the ANX7805

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-09 at 20:35.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
What I evidently thought of quite some time ago been to put an additional SIM slot-in tray on the spacer frame (alas for now we don't see much use in that, due to modem not supporting multi-SIM).
If that's feasible space-wise (I guess otherwise you wouldn't mention it) what about a 2nd µSD slot that's accessible without removing the back cover?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
If that's feasible space-wise (I guess otherwise you wouldn't mention it) what about a 2nd µSD slot that's accessible without removing the back cover?
alas we have no MMC controller available for a 3rd MMC device, I think. We need the pins for other purposes (like WLAN)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-09 at 22:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
What about connecting it via USB?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
possible but expensive. Please don't make me elaborate how embedded USB hubs spoil things

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Maybe one could connect both slots to the same controller. This way only one could be used at a time, but people could chose whether to use the card as a storage expansion (internal) or an easy(er) exchange medium (external).

In my laptop I have an additional USB port soldered internally to one of my regular external ports [1] and if the MMC controller behaves like my USB controller the worst thing that could happen when you put a card in the 2nd slot would be like pulling the 1st card without a proper umount.

[1] http://www.amilo-forum.de/topic,2449...ck-intern.html

Tags
neo900, thank you!