Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't believe what you're seeing in the SDK is very much of what will be released in Maemo 5. They're releasing just enough to let you develop to the new UI API. I believe there's lots of whiz-bang that they won't reveal until the last second.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-03 at 06:59. Reason: sorry it sounded like it is going to change, that's not what I meant

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I don't believe what you're seeing in the SDK is what will be released in Maemo 5. They're releasing just enough to let you develop to the new UI API. I believe there's lots of whiz-bang that they won't reveal until the last second.
your probably right, tho i wonder if its a indication that nokia is aiming at the net enabled media player that archos have been showing of (not to mention that other device we all love so much to talk about)...

still, there is a calendering api in there now (closed source).

add the other stuff and im thinking location aware services and ovi integration, maybe including a calendar that can understand gps...

meh, im going to give mer a spin ones maemo4 gives up its ghost, and use my N800 til it fatally breaks...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
/me will have to find out how to access the calendaring, it will help to have real appointments underneath my sketching calendar

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I don't believe what you're seeing in the SDK is what will be released in Maemo 5. They're releasing just enough to let you develop to the new UI API. I believe there's lots of whiz-bang that they won't reveal until the last second.
By "last second", you mean "the beta SDK", of course.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
By "last second", you mean "the beta SDK", of course.
No, I mean even more last second than that.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Here is a picture of Mauku running on Maemo 5 Fremantle (alpha). Pressing full screen button hides the window title bar. Dialogs are appearing on the bottom of the screen (like homemade dialogs in Mauku already before Fremantle).
Attached Images

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks Henrik! I think this is the first Maemo 5 screenshot not coming from Nokia.

If you could drop a few lines somewhere about your first impressions porting Mauku to Fremantle, that would be great.

Same request to other developers getting their hands dirty with this Maemo 5 Alpha SDK. And keep posting/linking here your screenshots (or screencasts!). Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I believe there's lots of whiz-bang that they won't reveal until the last second.
Just curious: what whiz-bang are you talking about? If you mean all the stuff coming with the applications, sure. This SDK is basically an empty shell for developers to fill.

If you are still talking about the Maemo 5 UI, what is missing is mostly described in the release notes:
  • Desktop edit mode
  • Status area
  • Task switcher

If you are talking about something else, please explain.

I have a feeling that the task switcher is going to have some serious whiz-bang (see the quote from the Unwired View article in my post above). Is that coming in the beta SDK or is that something that will be revealed at the very end? It looks like we won't see it before the hardware is released:

Task switcher is not present in this release either. Hence you can only run one application at a time from the UI. The final release will, however, include the task switcher.
EDIT: Sorry, I reread my previous post above, and it sounds like I believe you're going to change the UI. I just believe you've only revealed the bare bones, enough to get people developing without "wrecking the surprise" as it were

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-03 at 07:01.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
mine would be a long slow video (maybe timelapse)
i'm getting 5seconds/frame
/me kicks tabletpc and ubuntu and lack of linuxfoo
It sounds like that's not necessarily your fault:
Known limitations
  • On Debian Lenny (x86 scratchbox target), the response time of actions on using the UI framework is known to be high.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle