Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2016 @ Austria
hey t-b!
thanks for the Telegram-link you provided .. this works just excellent! (I probably should've 'conducted' a research on my own :$ ).
however, thank you again for this useful hint

about Telegram vs. Whatsapp: thanks for pointing out that having both installed is possible, so no need to actually make a 'decision'. the most important thing is that this thread is for sure not the right place to start a 'flame-war'. at first, I thought switching to a Telegram-version would be a good idea even if it only makes 5% of the current yappari-user (I'm aware this aren't the same which would roughly translate to 5 people, I suppose.. ) happy when (and this condition is important) the only other option would be having no yappari at all. but as there now exists a working Telegram-plugin for 'our' pidgin, I'd also say, a Whatsapp-implementation would be the only goal of real help/use/merit.

cheers @all

I am one of the maybe very few people who is still having just a N900 so I depend on yappari. This is one reason why I'm thinking about to buy a new mobile, but I have no idea what would be a good replacement. I think in this form it is just unreplaceable. I hope ceene will be successful!

For folks that really need whatsapp the webapp might be useful?
https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/web/28080003
Unfortunately it seems like you still need Whatsapp on your phone to activate the account.
I still have an Android phone somewhere in a drawer, will give it a try later.

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
yes t-b .. the webapp is basically useless

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2016 @ Austria
yep, that's the big 'downside' of this "web-app". it more or less works like a remote connection to your actual phone where your one and only 'true' instance of Whatsapp is installed at. it needs to be turned on with active internet connection for the web-app to work, fyi.

Okay - if the phone app needs to be active and connected to the internet to be able to use the web app it is indeed basically useless.
I have the desktop app from Telegram installed and it is active all the time, with or without phone (you only need to enter an activation code received by a SMS text message to register). I even use it more than Telegram on my N900.
I was hoping for something similar for Whatsapp.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
The N900 doesn't have enough ram memory to use the WA web application. Iceweasel uses too much memory. I tried it a few times but it's very slow. One other alternatieve way to use WA on the N900 is dual booting NITdroid. I used it back at the time when there was no Yappari.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
If you want reliable Whatsapp, I doubt the n900 will last the distance, however valiant the efforts: if not the next issue, then the one after that.... and so it will go.

Long life to Yappari !!
Thanks Ceene!

Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
The N900 doesn't have enough ram memory to use the WA web application. Iceweasel uses too much memory. I tried it a few times but it's very slow. One other alternatieve way to use WA on the N900 is dual booting NITdroid. I used it back at the time when there was no Yappari.
For that thing we need chrooted NITdroid and almost all problem will be gone.

Tags
whatsapp, yappari