Active Topics

Notices

Hi all,

I'm developing a web-application, and I'm creating a bunch of buttons (the alphabet) with javascript for easy input (the N900 will be car mounted while in use). First of all, there is a delay after tapping on the buttons, and the keyboard seems generally unresponsive. This was way better on N810. It's really fast in Midori, but the address bar in midori wont auto hide after following a link on any webpage (both the -testing and -devel-versions), so that wont work. And I guess geolocation wont work in Midori either, which I'm planning to use.
It seems like it's meant to be a functionality, as the button is shown as pressed the little half-second the delay lasts, to ensure I pressed the right button maybe? Is there any ways to modify or change this?

Second, whenever I try to type a double consonant, I'm zooming in stead. This could be avoided by typing sloooow, but it's reeally irritating, especially when erasing many letters at once.
Could there be any way to remove this? Either via about:config or maybe an addon? I will have full control over the devices using my application.

The reason I'm creating my own keypad in stead of using the built-in, is that I'm comparing the typed text against a list, and suggesting entries (sort of an autocomplete).

And last, is there any way to hide the fullscreen button in fullscreen? It's blocking my keypad!

If I can't resolve some of these issues, I might have to use N810 or maybe another device (maybe iphone, windows mobile or android?), or I might have to write my own app for Maemo5.

Thanks for all replies!

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by StrAleks View Post
The reason I'm creating my own keypad in stead of using the built-in, is that I'm comparing the typed text against a list, and suggesting entries (sort of an autocomplete).
I don't understand that you need your own keypad for that. There are lots of examples on the web that have autocomplete and that don't need a keypad.

So maybe you can try another path to find a solution.

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I don't understand that you need your own keypad for that. There are lots of examples on the web that have autocomplete and that don't need a keypad.

So maybe you can try another path to find a solution.
It will be car mounted, so using the HW-keys wont be easy. Using the built in SW wont be as easy as I would like, as then I would first have to press the input-field, type e.g. the first three letters in my search, press "down", then I can display a list of hits, but I dont know which results I might get, and maybe I need to refine my search a bit, then I would have to press the input again.

It sounds a bit difficult and inconvenient, but maybe less than having to cope with a slow keypad and no doubletapping... But very annoying that it works so well in Midori and on N810!
Midori-developers: can you please make your addressbar autohide after pressing a link in fullscreen?

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Here are some examples:

http://www.javascript-examples.com/autocomplete-demo/

There's one that doesn't work with a drop down but does a real autocomplete. Maybe thats something?