and now im a developer for nokia, and have accepted the NDA ... really simple.

now lets hope that this helps my eligibility if not, ill just buy the KB device. if anything itll be a stop gap till medfield.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
After a myriad of devices (770, N800, N810, N900) based on closed source drivers, it is reasonable to ask Nokia to release device that is truly open to other distributions especially since they decided to abandon maemo/meego.

If any of such device that we are tease about has 100% open source drivers, I will buy it.

Otherwise I will simply ignore it.

I hope some of you would agree with me.
I agree, but unfortunately it's not a Nokia fault if drivers aren't provided.
You should ask them to ImgTec (PowerVR) because neither their customer are allowed to release downloadable drivers.

more here about Mali drivers

As far as i can read here, ARM isn't interested in release complete open-source drivers. Considering that Intel SoC will use PowerVR graphics, there will be no open drivers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donbabbeo For This Useful Post:
After a myriad of devices (770, N800, N810, N900) based on closed source drivers, it is reasonable to ask Nokia to release device that is truly open to other distributions especially since they decided to abandon maemo/meego.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCFMDLakxaY

If any of such device that we are tease about has 100% open source drivers, I will buy it.

Otherwise I will simply ignore it.
Good luck with that.

I hope some of you would agree with me.
[silence]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Donbabbeo View Post
I agree, but unfortunately it's not a Nokia fault if drivers aren't provided.
You should ask them to ImgTec (PowerVR) because neither their customer are allowed to release downloadable drivers.

more here about Mali drivers

EDIT: there was as small error in above URL.

As far as i can read here, ARM isn't interested in release complete open-source drivers. Considering that Intel SoC will use PowerVR graphics, there will be no open drivers.
That is true, it would be very difficult to extract source from Intel or ARM. But in that respect Nokia is a customer (big one), so they should be able to negotiate.

Let's not forget about Nokia's own drivers, that is the minimum that should be open sourced.

I think now is the best time to ask Nokia for drivers of a new device, before we buy devices and receive WONTFIXs.

I think this is not an off-topic question, since it is related to latest devices.

To daperl: I liked your earlier song arrangement. Please don't blame me for asking inconvenient question.

To Nokia: If you are about to abandon these devices, could you please let us taste some freedom?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-16 at 15:13.

That is true, it would be very difficult to extract source from Intel or ARM. But in that respect Nokia is a customer (big one), so they should be able to negotiate.

Let's not forget about Nokia's own drivers, that is the minimum that should be open sourced.

I think now is the best time to ask Nokia for drivers of a new device, before we buy devices and receive WONTFIXs.

I think this is not an off-topic question, since it is related to latest devices.

To Nokia: If you are about to abandon these devices, could you please let us taste some freedom?
You seem to not understand.
Nokia can't release nor negotiate 3d drivers of TI Omap. In fact, neither can TI, only ImageTec, the owner of PowerVR chips can. And they won't.
Doesn't matter if Nokia is a big customer, (btw it's not a ImageTec customer), Intel is a bigger one and can't negotiate.
The best you could obtain is some rev-eng opensource Gallium3D drivers (that in fact it's a high priority project).

Mali, that it's a ARM ip, could benefit A LOT of complete opensource drivers, but as far as i understand, considering this topic they are no interest in providing such feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Donbabbeo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Donbabbeo View Post
You seem to not understand.
Nokia can't release nor negotiate 3d drivers of TI Omap. In fact, neither can TI, only ImageTec, the owner of PowerVR chips can. And they won't.
Doesn't matter if Nokia is a big customer, (btw it's not a ImageTec customer), Intel is a bigger one and can't negotiate.
The best you could obtain is some rev-eng opensource Gallium3D drivers (that in fact it's a high priority project).

Mali, that it's a ARM ip, could benefit A LOT of complete opensource drivers, but as far as i understand, considering this topic they are no interest in providing such feature.
Thank you. I was not up-to-date on the particular subject.

Can any of the insiders provide information if the rest of the drivers are open sourced?

Like wifi, battery charging and similar trivial thingies that are under Nokia's control?

[Silence again?]

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-16 at 15:06.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
okay ready for some news? it seems that nokia is sending out invitation to german, austrian and swiss bloggers.

it says (poor translation):

„Let us astonish you- and experience design in a new, endless dimension.“

Original in german:

"Lass Dich von uns überraschen – und erlebe Design in einer neuen, endlosen Dimension”

if someone is able to do a better translation, please feel free to change!

the meego austrian blogger (who was invited too) is 100% sure that Lankku/ION/N9 will be presented next week.

Last edited by zymo; 2011-06-16 at 15:08.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
Like i said they will announce it in Nokia Connections and bloggers are able to test the device all around.
I'm liking the hype Nokia is trying to build to it's phone that got OS that playes second role inside Nokia, that is if this really is still about lankku, dali or both.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
You can't possibly imagine how unenticing that sounds to a normal user.

(...)
Healthy competition is an effective way of keeping companies honest and highlighting the value of interoperability. Preaching however, is not.
When I wrote my previous post, I already knew that the audience of the site is not "normal users". Is at least a group of users who know what free/open source software is, and at least some of the pros/cons.

I'm an atheist, but I understand that many if not all religions, claim that you will be punished with hell/bad karma/whatever if you behave "badly" (according to their beliefs).

When I introduce free software to people, I explain that in a totally pragmatic way. I don't "preach". It's just that I find that fighting for your rights as a consumer is hard, but better for you in the long term.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suy For This Useful Post:
Can you provide CSSU with the latest linux kernel without help from Nokia?
Are you sure you can do it in one or two years?

BTW: I am proven M$ hater.
This question bothers me about the upcoming device. If Nokia drops support (which is probable), does it mean the device will be stuck with outdated kernel because of lacking drivers for newer ones?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland