Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Howabout a little Friday afternoon humour?

Q: What's worse than donating your free time and expertise to create an app for the 770/800 community?

A: This thread.

Mayhaps general paypal donations would act as incentives, but as for petitions, try city hall.

I would contribute $'s also.

I had no idea this would upset so many of you guys.

Sheesh, but you're sensitive.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I second the donations suggestion.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Much needed application I think payment is a better incentive than a petition. Thanks Ryan for all the work you have done so far.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Who's upset? I don't see it.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear Ryan's thoughts.

Ok, let me just say, this is the first time I've seen this thread, and actually the first time i've been on ITT in a while - I've been busy with the Summer of Code. As Google is paying me a chunk to hack on AbiCollab, that's what has been taking up my time. I don't know if I've mentioned it here or not, but I know I've told AbiWord folks that I intend to take care of the Maemo port after SoC finishes up (end of the month/monday) and after I get settled again.

Didn't realize this was so pressing to so many people I will get it going and get it rocking - made over 90 patches to AbiWord during the Summer of Code and now I'm hooked. It will be a 2.5.x release (probably 2.5.2+updates or 2.5.3) - a developer release, but much improved and probably stabler/faster than 2.4.6 at this point. As I've posted in other places, there are ways to get Abi 2.4.6 to work so-so on the N800, and I've used it that way, but it's certainly not ideal.

I'd like to spend more time hacking, but in addition to being a developer, I'm also a university student, which means that I have classes and bills, which must be attended and paid, respectively. Unfortunately, that sometimes means my Abi-hacking gets bumped in favor of that which will keep me enrolled. If someone is interested in funding a development, feature, build, etc, and thus permit me to bump some spyware removal in favor of coding (please!), please PM me. I'm reluctantly looking into the paypal thing, but it seems as though it may be more overhead/hassle than it's worth. I really prefer a simple $x to do "y" rather than a "here's $z to support your work" - it makes it harder for me to know what I need to do to feel like I deserved $z. Hopefully this makes sense.

I did it again - wrote way too much It's coming, petitions are not needed, unless somebody wants to hire a contract programmer. Also, if folks could point other ITT visitors to one of the many Abi threads I've commented on so that I don't have to hit all of them, that would also help free up time Rock on!
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I also plan/hope to get AbiCollab (live, real-time collaboration on word processing documents) working on the Maemo build and interoperable with AbiWord on Windows and Linux (at the same time!)!
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Great to get your update Ryan! Hope you had all kinds of fun at SoC. Sounds like you have your priorities right as they should be

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention. I also plan/hope to get AbiCollab (live, real-time collaboration on word processing documents) working on the Maemo build and interoperable with AbiWord on Windows and Linux (at the same time!)!
That ^ would be HUGE dude...