Notices

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
This library reached Extras as a dependency of Fbreader. I had voted it down, but there were more +1 voters who didn't care about this issue.

For obvious reasons, this library needs to be optified.

Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       583195 Dec 21 22:41 /usr/lib/libzlcore.so.0.10.7
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       309195 Dec 21 22:41 /usr/lib/libzltext.so.0.10.7
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       193847 Dec 21 22:41 /usr/lib/zlibrary/ui/zlui-maemo5.so
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# du -hs /usr/share/zlibrary/
1.4M	/usr/share/zlibrary
The bug-tracker link in the package was talk.maemo.org. so, would the developer(s)-in-charge please optify this lib? thanks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
"* RST38h will look at optifying xchat and fbreader, when he has time"
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...01-01.log.html

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
This saddens me that people continued to give a thumbs up to a non-optified app and that the author promoted it anyways despite this blocker.

EDIT 1: Also, how come libzlibrary is on the Maemo Downloads webpage despite being in "libs"?

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/libzlibrary/

EDIT 2: I thought I'd clarify some things to avoid my comments being perceived as overly simple since some complexities are involved due to how library promotion works. So no one voted on libzlibrary after the non-optification was pointed out. Its easy for FBReader testers to have missed it though 4 people gave thumbs-ups after the dependency issue was pointed out. The author still would have known about it and shouldn't have promoted with a blocker despite the number of votes.

The really sad part? This can all be automated. To be fair, my understanding of the concerns about doing it are time to implement and test it, time added to the upload process, server load from doing it, and accuracy because rootfs is compressed.

Last edited by epage; 2010-01-03 at 04:22.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
What I don't get is why people don't just freaking optify things. It's super easy.

Code:
echo auto > debian/optify
Done. That's literally it.

There have been lame excuses like it'll break applications but this isn't true for the vast majority of applications. Maybe for the kernel or if someone wants to do an i386 gcc crosscompiler or something complicated/nuts like that, but for simple little apps with a couple libs, should be no problem...

Is fbreader optified now?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
None of the dynamic libraries are currently optified. This really needs Nokia to change the standard ld.so.conf to add a standard /opt location (/opt/libs perhaps) so they'll get picked up by the linker.