Active Topics

wow.... i read this whole thread.. went the website link... and nowhere either in the thread or at neopwns actual website (tthat i could find) does it state anywhere what the product actually does. then i went to wikipedia. all so cumbersome. i'm still not quite sure. is it an os ? or a network intrusion testing program ?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
wow.... i read this whole thread.. went the website link... and nowhere either in the thread or at neopwns actual website (tthat i could find) does it state anywhere what the product actually does. then i went to wikipedia. all so cumbersome. i'm still not quite sure. is it an os ? or a network intrusion testing program ?
roger_27: BackTrack is a penetration-testing distribution, which is intended for security professionals or hobbyists who want to audit the security of their networks or systems. The colour of your hat is up to you. From glancing at the screenshots, my guess would be that this is a collection of software used by the main BackTrack distribution, customized to work (well) on the N900, and with some sort of mobile-optimized launcher/frontend. If they've actually made a custom Maemo distribution, I'm sure people like Stskeeps would have been involved, and we probably would have heard about it.
EDIT: My guess is that they've built a custom kernel as well, although at least one custom build is already available in -devel.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
P.S. - The title of this thread should be "BackTrack for N900"
I know... Tried changing it, but couldn't...

BTW There's an official thread/announcement here... (Created after this one)

And it's an OS, so to use it You would probably install it as a secondary OS (maybe on external memory card) and boot into it...

EDIT -> Look at the NeoPwn website: http://neopwn.com/...:

Neopwn runs on an optimized FULL custom Debian operating system that boots off of a microSD card with a custom Linux kernel, with a vast support range for module drivers, allowing the network security tester the ability to perform various network penetration auditing tasks that are normally carried out on a notebook or desktop workstation.

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-02-25 at 09:18.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
Is there anything known about a release date ?

The Following User Says Thank You to OptX For This Useful Post:
Great job NEO, i look forward to it .

Dual boot OS for the world,

But yeah i'm looking out for future development.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
By request, the thread "NeoPwn for N900... :)" with twelve posts has been merged into this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
A release date for this would be great, will beta testers be required

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
No, um.... read the thread again and think about why N900 isn't a great pocket warrior's tool.
As you suggest, I have read the thread again. I'm still not sure what you mean though.

It might be the case that an external wifi adapter isn't required (the only clue here is the wait/cough comment), or perhaps someone has figured out how to get USB host mode working.

What is your take on this - please elaborate.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
As you suggest, I have read the thread again. I'm still not sure what you mean though.

It might be the case that an external wifi adapter isn't required (the only clue here is the wait/cough comment), or perhaps someone has figured out how to get USB host mode working.

What is your take on this - please elaborate.
My guess is that they patched the wifi driver (wl12xx) for injection since its based on the mac80211 stack.

Shaq

The Following User Says Thank You to born2wonder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Moscow
As about N900 USB host mode?