Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah I have... I recall most of his comments.
Are you referring to some of his remarks about meego's future?
They were mostly pretty damn vague if you ask me.
Not very re-assuring at all, in fact if anything they weren't.
Unfortunately the future of the N9 itself is a little dodgy but i was more impressed with the fact that quite a few posters were already trying to develop apps and such for the N9. it is good to see the community support already stepping up to the plate.
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gryedouge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
BTW, not to say that Eldar is not a dork but all these 92 N9s stuff is silly. You just probably don't know that in Russia (and not only here) both comma AND dot can be used as delimiter.
I suspected as much, but an opportunity for comedy presented itself, and I couldn't resist it.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah sure, but you could spin it an entirely different way.
Where there's negatives, there's still plenty of positives, both hw & sw.
Been over all this territory before, so will let someone else step-in if they want.
Really too tired of us repeating the same things...
Agree. Dont intend on opening that can of worms again. There are obvious advantages to having more then less. If one is to go with the thesis that 'less is more' then i would have to respectfully disagree

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post

Just one example of Maemo really standing out from the crowd was:

- Touch anywhere to go back. Simple yet brilliant concept. No need for a hard key to do this. Every new device android/BB release has one but wasnt necessary in the N900. Apple/WebOS have on screen 'back' keys which are usually at the top left - out of reach and requires one to flex and stretch the hand. Wasting time and it takes effort.
I also loved that!
another example I also really like was the swirl zoom in the web browser, because you could zoom with one hand, something that is a lot more difficult with two finger pince to zoom.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
<SNIP>There are obvious advantages to having more then less. If one is to go with the thesis that 'less is more' then i would have to respectfully disagree
LOL, I wouldn't be going there at all, far from it.
But srsly CBF'd, so tired now, feel like I've been running a marathon.

I have a kinda dumb/noob question

Why didn't Nokia just continue improving Maemo as opposed to combining with Moblin to get Meego? Couldn't they just keep pushing QT and Maemo development improving where the shortcomings were? That would've cut development time wouldn't it? Maemo wasn't good enough or somethin?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I also loved that!
another example I also really like was the swirl zoom in the web browser, because you could zoom with one hand, something that is a lot more difficult with two finger pince to zoom.
Ah yes missed that example. Watching a demo of the N900 i really did say 'wow'. Reality was far from perfect as web pages would stutter before this worked but it worked.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
Unfortunately the future of the N9 itself is a little dodgy but i was more impressed with the fact that quite a few posters were already trying to develop apps and such for the N9. it is good to see the community support already stepping up to the plate.
Your forgetting something here, do you remember the N900 is CLOSED source???? well guess what.... so is the N9 !.

forgive my childishness, but this is what i think of when abill posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9kpTvm6CYA

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
I have a kinda dumb/noob question

Why didn't Nokia just continue improving Maemo as opposed to combining with Moblin to get Meego? Couldn't they just keep pushing QT and Maemo development improving where the shortcomings were? That would've cut development time wouldn't it? Maemo wasn't good enough or somethin?
Moblin actually did have a rep. at the time (for some form-factors) when it comes to Linux.
I recall several extensive writes-up from sites like phoronix that felt it stood-out from anything else around at the time.
This was before the tie-up....
It did have some good stuff to bring to the table, I can't recall it all now, pretty sure power management was part of it.

But I guess most of the good stuff it was to bring was really for diff. form-factors.
Or x86 smartphone silicon, had Intel been able to deliver 2H this yr, as originally planned.
But prolly the biggest single factor was them sharing resources, spreading the load so-to-speak, on developing the base software for x86 handsets.
But Nokia was being left to do all the heavy lifting w/ARM (it hadn't done a massive amt with meego proper TBH though), until such time as Intel could get their silicon out.

It's a misnomer that the tie-up was the major factor in slowing things down though.
There were things happening before/after the tie-up internally @nokia, which had a bigger impact.
Nokia hadn't even got to the point yet, where they were truly running with the project.
That was still some way off before the change in strategy was announced...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-20 at 15:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????