Active Topics

So... skipping butthurt, we're back at apps. NITDroid is an option if your bank only provides apps for some platform (same for broker apps... do people really use them? with all the Carrier IQ and fb/twitter apps breaking trust and stealing your contacts info etc, you really trade on such platforms? good for you I guess, insider trading got a new meaning). My bank's website actually works in only few mobile browsers, fully on N900.
Games, see above or get some webOS games, work flawlessly.
OpenOffice - bad? Then edit some xls files using crippled 'office' apps on iOS/Android, and I mean not just alter few numbers, macros/functions/pivot tables, you know, actual work. Good luck.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
On android I have not yet seen a good alternative to a terminal with ssh and scp support and believe me I have checked them all.
Tried https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...x.spartacuside ?

It even has sshd and git, and a lot more.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
some of you guys have so much tunnel vision.... lars i am laughing so much at your last post right now...
this is the reason I come here! I very rarely turn my n900 on, been using Android for the past year (can't complain).

These people here are the very pure essence of fanboyism, I enjoy reading their endless praises of a device/company. They're so out of touch it's really entertaining to read them!

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Tried https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...x.spartacuside ?

It even has sshd and git, and a lot more.
Yes, it was the best attempt I found. But ssh lacks compression with a lot of other features and there is no scp. X11 we can just forget. Guess scp could be added, but then I read in on how to port simple Linux tools to android. Man, its not even worth that amount trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Yes, it was the best attempt I found. But ssh lacks compression with a lot of other features and there is no scp. X11 we can just forget. Guess scp could be added, but then I read in on how to port simple Linux tools to android. Man, its not even worth that amount trouble.
Then it's probably the best for you. But stop trying to convince people who made up their mind to use something else. It's not good enough for them, and your reasonings and finding obscure stuff that doesn't work on other platforms really just make you look silly.

By the way X server implementations for Android exist too, you just have to look.

"These people here are the very pure essence of fanboyism."

I can agree I am very passionate about the n900, it does all the things I want it to, and to me in a great way.
But for "fanboyism" you better have a look at the iNerds, they are very good at that. Being out of touch is their specialty. They are behaving way more extreme than the maemo people (I'd say the maemo community is more like a linux/unix community in general, rather than phone fanatics).

People can buy whatever they want, whatever concept suits them best. I don't really care that much, its their money spent, but for my purposes I know that there is nothing around that can handle the things that the n900 do. I have searched for an alternative but I'm rather sad to see that there is nothing on the market like this anymore.

Frapp.. :

I can't see the problems with the things you mention. The difference is that you are probably the type of person that's more locked in on commercial alternatives (personally I don't trade any shares using my phone so I have no idea about that). There are also plenty better alternatives to whatsapp, but if you and your friend are locked into that and that is you medium, well then I guess n900 is not for you. Maybe we are just people with different ideology and search for different things.

I can do banking just fine with the browser, and I don't find it clunky at all so I don't know what you mean there, maybe you bank is clunky.

For office like applications I use "Word to go"/"Sheet to go"/"Slideshow to go" suite and it works just fine, yes its commercial but don't come say there are no alternatives on the n900.

There is really nothing wrong with free and open source projects. Its hard to find arguments why anyone would see that in a negative sense. When it comes to tablet and phone product development, you more than well should know that there are other things causing problems than just the fact that it is free and open software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Then it's probably the best for you. But stop trying to convince people who made up their mind to use something else. It's not good enough for them, and your reasonings and finding obscure stuff that doesn't work on other platforms really just make you look silly.

By the way X server implementations for Android exist too, you just have to look.
But, you didn't get it. I pointed out the differences between the mainstream "smartphones" and the n900 as I see them. The argument from the OP was that the n900 doesn't cope with things anymore and I just don't agree there, not from where I am standing. If he wants help to find something else, he better have a clear idea what it is that he expects from the successor to the n900 (that obviously the n900 would be far too weak to handle).

If you find the things I mention to be obscure (to me they are absolutely great and necessary things to have) then probably you are a completely different user than I am, like I've pointed out before.

EDIT: BTW, people writing that they are laughing and in general writing with a condescending tone, labeling people "fanboys", THAT really makes you look silly.

EDIT2: X Server with X11 ssh forwarding? Yeah, right!

Last edited by Larswad; 2012-03-07 at 12:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
@xxxxts

Your use case has dramatically changed, then.

The N900, was a developer's platform - what other phone is out there, that has a hardware keyboard, works acceptably as a normal phone and can boot any ARM Linux distro you can find?
It's a geek's toy, clearly not aimed at the John S. Smith consumer.
And as you may have noticed, it is quite rough around the edges.
And yes, I will parade around the word: COMMUNITY COMMUNITY COMMUNITY. It's the one thing the N900 can still rely on these days. Same for the N9. It sucks, but Nokia doesn't seem too keen on making a Harmattan HE for the N900 like the NITs before it.

Oh, and before the N900, Nokia has had a history with pump-and-dumping Maemo users. Especially regarding the whole opennness thing. And the PowerVR MBX driver thingy.

And post-N900 (aka N9) - it's stillborn. Period. Nokia will probably cease updates after PR1.2 or PR1.3.
Had lots of potential though. What a waste.

Android, is well, Android. As long as you don't buy from Moto and HTC, and stick to flagship phones (hint: these cost the same price as Nokia flagships), you bet it'll stick on XDA for years.
The difference is just in the hardware, really.
It's pretty easy to use, and for aforementioned (modern) flagship devices, only massive autists care about the lag.

iOS devices are plain, simple things.
They work well enough to be a phone, and a platform for casual games (Infinity Blade is a b***h on a 3.5" screen)
However, doing serious geek things on them is a pain. Yes, I've tried. Yes, I've jailbroken all iOS devices in my house (wanna see them side by side with my N900?). The VKB takes up almost half the screen, and is tuned for daily typing, so any sort of CLI admin work is a real PITA.
(P.S.: The overclock video you showed was basically turning off power management. That's like "kernel-config limits 1150 1150")

tl;dr: Nokia does things half-baked (but lets 1337 users bake the other half if they wanted), iOS devices spoonfeed the user, Android devices are kind of a middle ground, given the right hardware and community.

@Frappacino

And you expect to edit those "business documents" with that crappy on-board keyboard. Give me a break. Open Office maybe little slow, but hey, it does it's job and doest it better than any mobile application available.

@Hurrian

Like I said before, N900 is not any mainstrem phone, but a geek-phone with some neat and unique features. Thank for your post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuuskis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
no more maemo, no more maemo, maybe someday android or maybe tizen give us something like on our N900?, no offense,