I have been fighting with the keyboard shortcuts and found out that the .xbindkeyrc file dosen't exist in the chroot /home/user and because of that xbindkeys fails. Is this an error or is it changed from how the wiki says:

Note that the relevant file /home/user/.xbindkeysrc does not reside in the Debian image but in the home directory.

Should I move it in to the chroot or is there something missing in Estels image?

EDIT:
I have tried to move it in to the chroot and now the keybindings works! I'm quite sure that this worked in the old Estel image though, without copying the file..

Last edited by Wille_W; 2012-04-22 at 10:46.

No idea, could You put a link to example site causing this problem?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
No idea, could You put a link to example site causing this problem?
Well, for me it never works but you could test on this site:
http://profs.etsmtl.ca/mmcguffin/lea...-drawingLines/

It should be a java applet there with black background and green lines.

It seems to me that the md5sum in imagelist-fremantle-01 are not up to date.

I got for debian-m5-sulu.img.ext2.lzma
21c11b164acd0a730f740ceecd612da4

and for debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma
cea873aa149dba449d3c54e7152fe12c

wheras in imagelist-fremantle-01
3,Estel,http://qole.org/files/,debian-m5-est...xt3,lzma,Large Debian 6 with LibreOffice,75d4d0a24d1b62424919accd0a1be9af
4,sulu,http://qole.org/files/,debian-m5-sul...t2,lzma,Debian 6 image by sulu (DE),90dea3dad97b336fa82a14be50e8fce4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HolgerN For This Useful Post:
Estel - just started using your new image - works great - i like this chromium theme

This is how i use it:
Created an ext4 partition on SD
Copied the ~3GB file to it
Mount it to /.debian

Is there a benefit to copying the image's files to the partition and use it directly instead of using the mount?

Thanks.

Last edited by impeham; 2012-04-30 at 17:32.

Thanks for Your appreciation . As for running native partition vs loopback image - there is *much* benefit of doing so. Currently, You're not gaining (almost) anything over keeping image file in vfat. If You actually have files on partition, natively, You're benefiting running whole (Easy) Debian natively (chroot = native). Getting files out/to loopback image is second biggest bootleneck, next only to low amount of RAM.
---

In my personal opinion, "default" loopback-image configuration of Easy Debian is derivative from times, when repartitioning was "black magic", and qole wanted to save end-users need of doing it. In addition to that, even now, end user can try Easy Debian without changing anything in their filesystem, which is quite big benefit.

Honestly, though, repartitioning through GUI solutions is now trivial for everyone, both ones that have Linux background or not. I would not use image on loopback for any "real" work on Debian programs (especially, resource hungry, like browsers)

[unrelated rant]
Have anyone else noticed, that lately, we're placing web browsers amongst most resource-hungry programs? Hell, even LibreOffice runs better than lightest, feature-complete browsers, like Chromium. Iceweasel/Firefox is such Behemot'ish cow now, that it's even not worth mentioning.

At the same time, ancient microB works blazing fast, and do render most pages well (would render everything well, if we would be able to update underlying Gecko to more recent version - without loosing any speed...). Honestly, it would be 100% full-fledged browser, if we would be able to add few small features to closed UI (+ upgrading Gecko behind it would be almost trivial).

We already know who we need to stab endlessly, for closed microB UI? Suckers, they own this code fully, haven't and won't do *anything* with it ever, yet, they can't release it due to "business reasons".[/unrelated rant]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel - how do you extract the image to the partition (and how to repack it back from a partition to image)?

mount (empty) partition, mount image file as loopback (mount -o loop <imagefile>, if I recall correctly), then cp -a content of the latter to the former.

then, You need to modify .chroot file, pointing it to partition, instead of image file (refer to Easy Debian wiki for instructions about that).

/Estel

// edit

As for backing it up to image file, You just revert whole process - mount Your file (clear files there, if it's not empty), cp -a everything from partition into file.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@estel - I didn't try the latest version, but in the one i have here, there is a bug in qchroot, causing the infinite (almost) mounting when easy debian is on external sd card (as a directory) and the partition in question is mounted in /media .

here is my fix, in /sbin/qchroot, hope it will be helpful
Code:
#Any external devices
  echo ... >/dev/stderr
  if [ `echo $CHROOT | grep '/media/mmc'` = $CHROOT ]; then
    # We are using directory on eMMC or on SD card so skip our partition from mounting
    MNTPART=`echo $CHROOT | cut -f 3 -d /`
    MNTD=`cat /proc/mounts  | grep -v /media/$MNTPART |  grep ' /media/' | awk '{print $2}'`
  else
    MNTD=`cat /proc/mounts | grep ' /media/'|awk '{print $2}'`
  fi
  for MDRV in $MNTD ; do
    echo Mounting $MDRV
    if [ ! -d "$CHROOT$MDRV" ] ; then
      mkdir -p "$CHROOT$MDRV"
    fi
    mount -o bind "$MDRV" "$CHROOT$MDRV"
  done

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
mount (empty) partition, mount image file as loopback (mount -o loop <imagefile>, if I recall correctly), then cp -a content of the latter to the former.

then, You need to modify .chroot file, pointing it to partition, instead of image file (refer to Easy Debian wiki for instructions about that).

/Estel

// edit

As for backing it up to image file, You just revert whole process - mount Your file (clear files there, if it's not empty), cp -a everything from partition into file.
After trying, i just remembered what was my problem in doing this the last time i tried to. here is what i did:

mounted the image with:
mount -t ext4 /home/user/MyDocs/debian-m5.ext4 /media/debiantemp -o loop,noatime

made sure that /media/debiantemp is empty

used 'mount | grep debi' to make sure MyDocs and mmc are not mounted (if they are then they are being copied too).

mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /.debian

cp -a /media/debiantemp/* /.debian

the copy starts and i can see that the process goes well until something like 10 - 15 minutes of copying and then my device crashes.

i retried this for 3 times - it seems to crash everytime - probably at the same point.

checking space taken in /media/debiantemp ~1.9GB
checking space taken in /.debian (after restart after crash) ~500mb

Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited by impeham; 2012-05-02 at 07:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze