Posts: 99 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ maemo
I think its 8 MP not 12 MP

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ravent-n900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
great read. Also tell you friend that i can also use my N900 as remote controller.

Really a great device.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Love the enthusiasm even though this comparison is years old.

I stopped reading at '"I can run 3d blender on it"....

How are you doing this? I would like to know!

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ istanbul
n900 better than galaxy.... interesting but real !

because

maemo better than android.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
If the N900's dialer didn't take 2 seconds to bring up after the screen unlocks and lights up, it'd probably still sell today. I mean, you can chroot on Android too, but the end-result's performance is total ***. Yes, even on the SGS2's hailed dual-core Exynos. PS1, GB/C/A emulation works equally well for both phones. BlessN900 still takes better pictures than HDR Camera+ And the SAMOLED+ screen on the SGS2? Take a picture, and look at the colors. Look at them. Look. Compare them to the N900's 16bpp screen. All the colors are way too bright and pastel, a physical limitation of the LED technology. Poor colour reproduction for true blacks (who cares about blacks when you usually look at the screen straight?). I would've liked a high-resolution S-IPS LCD screen instead. P.S. Don't use Samsung's Touchwiz ROM. They used to be better than AOSP Gingerbread, but now they suck now that CM9 is out. EDIT: WTF, TMO is eating my line breaks.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-04-21 at 01:40.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I stopped reading at '"I can run 3d blender on it"....

How are you doing this? I would like to know!
Most likely through easy debian.
shinkamui I think also ported it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32775&page=3

Last edited by Cue; 2012-04-21 at 02:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Biased sure, no problemo. Ill informed, meh.

The same week my gf, after a considerate amount of thinking and doing research, decided to treat herself with an SG2, that same week I bought my second N900 and I've had a fair amount of time comparing the two, both running Android (albeit slightly different flavours) while my other N900 was running Maemo5.

I think any comparison should start with a phrase stating it's not fair to compare the two. Even if you would consider these devices as falling under the same category, it's still comparing a 70's car with an 80'one. But ultimately I think I don't see my n900 as a phone but as a mobile computer that rings when someone calls you. It's a 70's car versus an 80's skelter.

Let me react on the points I find interesting.

2. You mean to say the GS2 has a bad screen? A screen worse than the N900?

3. I love mine and use it all the time. She could care less.

4. When my gf is using my N900, I see her strugling in ways she never does when she's using her SG2. I see myself struggle using her device's screen. It's a matter of preference and even more, of getting used to it.

5. Only fools use the phrase "thousands of apps" as a positive characteristic of a phone. An ecosystem is not equal to a phone.

7. Have you really used that device? Have you opened long web pages with plenty of pictures and lots of text that made you use your scrollbar extensively? The N900 lags often and shows the canvas for seconds before displaying content where the SG2 scrolls incredibly smooth.

You're aware that you can switch user agents on an SG2? When we checked, my N900 couldn't properly view the nike for women website, while she could, after having changed her user agent, and she got to see the full blown version of the site. www.nike.com/nikewomen/us/index.jhtml

She's learnt to do it herself now and frequently utilizes her fresh gained knowledge with great pleasure. It does not work guaranteed but what does anyway?

8. Define faster, describe what it is you're running/doing/comparing on both devices.

9. I don't see how your point 9 differs from your point 5. Are all these 3000 games top games?

Long story short: I don't think the SG2 is ill fit for the job of being a pretty decent smart phone for my girl. She has different needs than I have and is not looking for a terminal (b.t.w., anyone seen terminal IDE on Android?), root access and what not. For her it's a good device.

As I said: The same week my girl got a SG2, I bought my second N900. I wouldn't trade 4 SG2's for one N900 but that does not make the SG2 a bad device, just less suitable for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Dhaka, Bangladesh
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Biased sure, no problemo. Ill informed, meh.

The same week my gf, after a considerate amount of thinking and doing research, decided to treat herself with an SG2, that same week I bought my second N900 and I've had a fair amount of time comparing the two, both running Android (albeit slightly different flavours) while my other N900 was running Maemo5.

I think any comparison should start with a phrase stating it's not fair to compare the two. Even if you would consider these devices as falling under the same category, it's still comparing a 70's car with an 80'one. But ultimately I think I don't see my n900 as a phone but as a mobile computer that rings when someone calls you. It's a 70's car versus an 80's skelter.

Let me react on the points I find interesting.

2. You mean to say the GS2 has a bad screen? A screen worse than the N900?

3. I love mine and use it all the time. She could care less.

4. When my gf is using my N900, I see her struggling in ways she never does when she's using her SG2. I see myself struggle using her device's screen. It's a matter of preference and even more, of getting used to it.

5. Only fools use the phrase "thousands of apps" as a positive characteristic of a phone. An ecosystem is not equal to a phone.

7. Have you really used that device? Have you opened long web pages with plenty of pictures and lots of text that made you use your scrollbar extensively? The N900 lags often and shows the canvas for seconds before displaying content where the SG2 scrolls incredibly smooth.

You're aware that you can switch user agents on an SG2? When we checked, my N900 couldn't properly view the nike for women website, while she could, after having changed her user agent, and she got to see the full blown version of the site. www.nike.com/nikewomen/us/index.jhtml

She's learnt to do it herself now and frequently utilizes her fresh gained knowledge with great pleasure. It does not work guaranteed but what does anyway?

8. Define faster, describe what it is you're running/doing/comparing on both devices.

9. I don't see how your point 9 differs from your point 5. Are all these 3000 games top games?

Long story short: I don't think the SG2 is ill fit for the job of being a pretty decent smart phone for my girl. She has different needs than I have and is not looking for a terminal (b.t.w., anyone seen terminal IDE on Android?), root access and what not. For her it's a good device.

As I said: The same week my girl got a SG2, I bought my second N900. I wouldn't trade 4 SG2's for one N900 but that does not make the SG2 a bad device, just less suitable for me.
Well it is super biased.
I shall admit, the GS2 is pretty good, but it definitely is not a piece of innovation like the n900.With that huge screen it is possible to cram at least 1280 pixels. People to people, usage vary. Like I said, n900 is for the people like Gordon Freeman from Half life. You can compile anything from source right on your device even your own home grown software. Android needs a license and for some apps it needs premium.

Since you are comparing cars, to me ,the n900 is like a weapons grade car like the Mclaren F1. While the GS2 may be Bugatti Veyron, faster and build to comfort you, the feel, the drive the sophistication and the engineering behind the Mclaren F1 will stand the test of time and you can only tweak it to be exactly the way you want it. Just like the n900 has become a collectors item, no other device gave me so much out of so less.

and about the game, what meant is that with emulators running, I can play classics like Metal Slug and Mario, paperboy and comixzone. Those are famous games. With WebOS games, I have a whole lot more. With Nitroid, even more.

And about the "nike women" website. My n900 just loaded the actual PC version in a jiffy. And I have have the webpage lag you are talking about but very rarely. And sorry If I offended some GS2 owner, I myself own a rooted GS2.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gearspec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pakistan
my n900 also rendered the nike page perfectly and without lag btw running at constant 1 ghz overclock

The Following User Says Thank You to Samirox For This Useful Post: