According to this register report Orange is backing MeeGo. However I'm not sure what they are using it for? i.e.

"MeeGo also gives Orange the opportunity to build a single, consistent home screen across all the kinds of device it offers."

MeeGo on all Orange devices? Seems unlikely to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lagonda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
The mobile phone network essentially said it would develop its applications, marketed under the Signature brand, to run on the operating system
What apps do Orange make?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
What's Orange?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Orange have been persuing this idea of making all phones exactly the same for years. They customise the thing until the reason you bought the thing in the first place is completely lost. Most people I know debranded their devices as soon as they could for this very reason. If they exhibt the same level of care an attention to this as other attempts then it will suck big time and likely give MeeGo a really bad name!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Orangification of an open source OS? No thanks! I'm one of the people who spent several years immediatley debranding (and therefore restoring functionality) every orange device i've owned. One has to ask what is the point of tying an open source OS to one network anyway - surely all the savvy users will just reflash anyway?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Orange with the merger with T mobile in the Uk will be a big player at least in the Uk market. let them brand phones as long as we can reflash who cares it probably means your phone can be bought for a cheaper price.
Look at HP and Dell with all the sponsered software which nearly everyone wipes off. If it keeps purchase price down let them get on with it

Originally Posted by daemonfin View Post
What's Orange?
Orange is a UK network operator. Originally setup by Hitchinson it was sold and IMHO the service fell off a cliff when the current owners too up the banner. I voted with my feet and moved elsewhere at this point.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by andygee View Post
let them brand phones as long as we can reflash who cares it probably means your phone can be bought for a cheaper price.
Look at HP and Dell with all the sponsered software which nearly everyone wipes off. If it keeps purchase price down let them get on with it
Interesting point but based on past experience i wouldn't say orange branding has kept the price down compared to other networks.. if anything it has made orangified devices later to market via that network too..

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zail View Post
Interesting point but based on past experience i wouldn't say orange branding has kept the price down compared to other networks.. if anything it has made orangified devices later to market via that network too..
It also means that they are less reliable too. You are also blocked from normal firmware updates etceteras. If the DRM issue comes up with MeeGo only allowing signed kernels then the ability to remove them might become an issue.

Personally I always by the device directly from the manufacturer to get an unbranded experience. This has resulted in my tariff being halved by the operator. Over the course of a year or so this pays for the unbranded device. That's basically how it is paid for in the first place anyhow!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Oh noes. This is bad. I bought an orange-branded SE some years ago. They just removed some functionality (the music identifier app, whatever it was called) and screwed up the menu to easily get to extra-costing stuff (including / especially by mistake). No other improvement. The price doesn't get lower that much either
I hope nokia and the other guys in charge treat orange like the annoying idiot who constantly asks "watcha doin'??" when you're trying to get something done: be polite, but do not do what they say

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post: