The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
If you're going to try that, might as well convince Nokia to make another N900
at least Sony still make phones...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaiNsFhtI8

Would be interesting to see a project like this done with a raspberry pi zero and a nice 3d printed case.
It is possible to make calls with @locusf's SailPi.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMGvapXVyE

But as phone it is not ready.

Raspberry Zero has armv6 so would SFOS port be even possible ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I have had this idea for a long time.

I know a lot of ODMs who can provide nice ID and good spec devices. However there are other issues needs to be solved, which I think only a healthy and big co-operation can do, not in the scale can be done by our community.

For example,

- SW development. Specific System-level engineer with SFOS and Alien Dalvik, yes the ODM can work with Jolla but in house engineer is definitely needed.

- QC, who's going to do that?

- Warranty management? Spare parts?

- The most importantly, who's going to pay for the upfront cost? Including all the certification etc. If on average, a device costs £200 (You really don't want another mid-low end device do you?) and quantity is 5k (ODM wouldn't really be interested to spend time and effort for quantity less than this, also considering certification etc lower the number isn't cost effective. ) So that's about 1M of upfront cost, who can pay that? And how to make sure that those device can be sold? How to prove to customers or Dave999 that this is not a scam?

PS: I think I can solve the first 3 with my company, but for the last point, there seem to be no solution...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
QC? In a community project? Surely you are joking, Mr Chen!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
QC? In a community project? Surely you are joking, Mr Chen!
If we are seriously building something, QC is needed. You don't want to end up with hardware broken component fails or RF not working....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
If we are seriously building something, QC is needed.
I know. That was my point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The most importantly, who's going to pay for the upfront cost? Including all the certification etc. If on average, a device costs £200 (You really don't want another mid-low end device do you?) and quantity is 5k (ODM wouldn't really be interested to spend time and effort for quantity less than this, also considering certification etc lower the number isn't cost effective. ) So that's about 1M of upfront cost, who can pay that? And how to make sure that those device can be sold? How to prove to customers or Dave999 that this is not a scam?
Well, there's always crowdfunding... I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Just show that the company has a good history and is able to produce those devices with or without the crowdfunders' money. Explain that the reason for the upfront crowdfunding payment is that it only makes sense to produce from 5k devices onwards, otherwise you would run at a loss. No endless options, just 'this is what you get, if you don't want it, don't fund it'. No 'if we reach this goal, you get this extra'. Of course, if certain options like device colour wouldn't affect the production costs, they can be included. And naturally, an 'unsuccessful crowdfunding = money back' guarantee, but I think with the necessary publicity this could attract the critical mass required for success.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
- The most importantly, who's going to pay for the upfront cost? Including all the certification etc. If on average, a device costs £200 (You really don't want another mid-low end device do you?) and quantity is 5k (ODM wouldn't really be interested to spend time and effort for quantity less than this, also considering certification etc lower the number isn't cost effective. ) So that's about 1M of upfront cost, who can pay that? And how to make sure that those device can be sold? How to prove to customers or Dave999 that this is not a scam?
If you got 500 people willing to pay upfront, I think you would be doing well...

Honestly, I think going down the hardware route is a bad idea. It nearly bankrupted Jolla twice (phone and tablet), the Neo900 project is 3 years old and still nothing, etc.

I think it would be better to take an existing piece of hardware and get a build of Sailfish that works 100% on it. I know there are lots of community ports, but they always seem to get abandoned with some key functions of the phone not working or stable.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
If the port issues with the keyboard layout and some other issues can be solved, I expect there will be a sudden surge in second hand Xperia Mini Pros sold - even though it has an old processor and not a lot of RAM. For anyone interested, there are a lot of Xperia Mini Pros being sold on the Polish and Portuguese versions of OLX.
I really don't see the point in something that old and underpowered.... hence this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: