Active Topics

Notices

Tackling the installer dependencies took a little time, here is the package.

I did not make any changes in the UI, I just wanted to get this first test version out. next step is to get this in the maemo repository, make the suggested UI enhancement and allow the user to change the counter period change date...

Features:
Displays total count of SMS messages (both sent and received) and count of the SMS messages for the current month. The counters are updated every time a SMS is sent or received. Update button updates the counters also, but in general you should not need to use it, it is there for just my testing purposes (I will get rid of it in the future :-)

to install
(you need to be able to gain root access for example through root) - and note the as this is early, very untested version of the application and working with command line commands could be potentially dangerous for your device, please be careful, know what you do with the command line commands and backup the device before installing...

copy the file on the device
In xterm and as root, go to the folder you saved the file in
dpkg -i smswidget_0.1.0-1_armel.deb
If you get any error messages (for example if you have not installed any python applications or python desktop widgets before) try to fix the dependencies with
apt-get -f install
After successful installation you should see the widget on the home screen, if not, reboot the device. If still nothing, please report to me...

Hartti
Attached Files
File Type: deb smswidget_0.1.0-1_armel.deb (2.3 KB, 405 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hartti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Delhi, India
this is such an helpful app for me as i get monthly 350 free msgs n usualy loose count of how many am done with..i so much wanted to help you test this pckg but am a complete zero with linux command line and deb packages..i think i'll just keep following this thread to tell there r so many ppl waiting for this thing to come out!!

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
awesome! thanks so much dude!!! it worked perfectly no problems with the install, appears on the desktop, and seems pretty accurate!

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Well done for your work keep going dude

Can't wait to see this in Extras-Devel. Looks like a cracking widget

hi,
Ive used the sms counter for some days now. works great.

but when you sent messages longer then 1 sms, it'll count it as 1!

still many thanks for the app! hope you can get this error out of the way!

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
Great app.
I really don't have much use for it. ( I have free SMSīs)
Itīs on a fun-to-know- basis.

Last edited by Soap77; 2010-02-15 at 11:46.

"but when you sent messages longer then 1 sms, it'll count it as 1!"

Oh... but of course. I am getting the number from the database which stores even long sms messages as one entry only. My bad.

I guess I can check the total message length in the database and calculate the real number of messages using that additional piece of information.

Does anyone have information on the multi-part SMS length numbers?
I know one message is 160 7-bit characters. But at what point does the 2 messages (for one long message) become 3 messages (and so on)?

Next version should be in the extras-devel repository this week. I'll fix at least this and hopefully I can also add a settings panel to change the period start day.

Hartti

The Following User Says Thank You to hartti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hartti View Post
"but when you sent messages longer then 1 sms, it'll count it as 1!"

Oh... but of course. I am getting the number from the database which stores even long sms messages as one entry only. My bad.

I guess I can check the total message length in the database and calculate the real number of messages using that additional piece of information.

Does anyone have information on the multi-part SMS length numbers?
I know one message is 160 7-bit characters. But at what point does the 2 messages (for one long message) become 3 messages (and so on)?

Next version should be in the extras-devel repository this week. I'll fix at least this and hopefully I can also add a settings panel to change the period start day.

Hartti
will you marry me?

The Following User Says Thank You to peternl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
Hartti
Dont know if this information is to any avail:
1st SMS is 160 characters long
2nd 146
3rd 153
4th 153
5th 153
6th 153