Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Shepherd is being developed for this. It will allow you to configure those things (in multi-input event driven to multi-output action 'scripts' ) and many more, in a nice GUI interface. As you can imagine, it not an easy task, certainly if all needs to be flexibel.

Search for "Shepherd" in the forum, the main developer, Attila is looking for volunteers to help finish off parts of the GUI, create extra event and action plug-ins etc ... There is even a Google Summer of Code proposal for it.

The main dependency was on QT4.6 so the first public version was not released yet as he was waiting for PR1.2. To support the collaborative effort he's going to have code drops more often now anyway

So, Shepherd will be able to do all of this. I'm also waiting for it !

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
hmmm alright i want my MarcoPolo on my N900. On my Mac MarcoPolo is doing all this, taking different inputs and calculate the probability of being in a place where specific actions has to be done.

inputs can be: SSID of the present WiFi, SSID of WiFi's around you, the IP you get, the time, connected devices, applications that are running or even the audio output device.

Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
In my opinion a "Profile" must be more for a smartphone than selecting ringtones.

What I am looking for are Meta-Profiles, like this:
  • Select Home
    • Set 2G
    • Select Online Availability (with internal SIP account)
    • Select Home Ringtones
  • Select Car
    • Select Bluetooth
    • Set 2G
    • Set Bluetooth Volume 100%
    • Set Car Online Availability with Geo Tagging
  • Select Office
    • Select Office Ringtones
    • Startup Openvpn
    • Set 2G (because WLAN is used for net)
    • Set Online Availability (with internal SIP via OpenVPN)
  • Select Outside with 3G
    • Set 3G
    • Startup OpenVPN
    • Set Outside Availability (with SIP via OpenVPN)
    • Set Outside Ringtones
  • Select Silent Outside
    • Set 2G
    • Disable net
    • Outside Ringtones

... and so on. For example changing from Office to Car needs changing Bluetooth, disabling OpenVPN, changing Availability (and changing geotagging). It could be done with just one Meta-Tap. If there are some Geo/WLAN detect... tricks you may need zero Taps of course.

Proposal: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...file_selection
this sounds cool.
would be ace if taken a step further tho.....

ive often thought as i get in my car how handy it'd be if when my phone connects to the BT head unit it then switches to "car" profile.
car profile if possible would consist of a different desktop with only the required shortcuts/apps, ideally the icons would be twice size.

Looks like I found a solution: actually I am working with a modified version of desktop activity manager - only the new scripting part. The configuration looks like the classical init-script stuff: every meta profile has it's own directory where scripts are stored that can be started and stopped (like bluetooth) and some generic scripts which use a config file for the actual meta profile (like change the real ring tone profile).

Meta profile can be changed by status menu and by script.

bluetooth, ringtone, gsm/3g are now working but I am looking for a way to change the presence states (see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=993025). If there is some interest I will clean it up a bit and put a repo somewhere.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2011-04-21 at 06:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post: