Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
Ideally you would want to analyze a live video buffer without actually saving it on the fly, and perhaps apply some sort of levels filter to better detect on-off events.
Yeah, I kinda thought that would probably be the way to do it too, although the amount of processing required seems prohibitive. I've never done video processing before; maybe there's a lightweight way to pull brightness info out of a video stream?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
CuteCW is a morse code application I use on N900 maybe worth a look if you fancy.
I'll take a look!

I was imagining a live keyboard type method but typing a string and pressing enter works fine.
This was the easiest way for me to get an update out before bedtime. I can get fancier with the input if you like.

You wouldn't need flash brightness IMO. I would stick to known safe limits of the LED's where possible.
Cool. The other advantage of using the "torch" mode is that I'd only need to deal with a single timer; with the "flash" mode, I'd have to play around with both the timer for the Morse code dots and dashes, and the flash timer. (This would get to be a real pain if a dash ended up longer than the maximum allowed flash duration...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Speaking of morse code, couldn't the flash and camera be used to send data using the IrDA protocol perhaps some kind of time duplexing if the flash interferes with the camera? At night it could be possible to semaphore from one hilltop to another perhaps a few km at 1Mb/s or higher if the camera can handle the conversion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Speaking of morse code, couldn't the flash and camera be used to send data using the IrDA protocol perhaps some kind of time duplexing if the flash interferes with the camera?
Yup, though standard IrDA speeds are way too fast for the camera to catch. It'd be fun to add a visible-light I/O mechanism to the N900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Copernicus, you're absolutely awesome. Yesterday I've suggested it, today, before my fingers were even able to rest, You've implemented it, including...

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I have always wished to be able to type out and flash morse code with the flashlight. Possible?
..."toldya!" feature request. Which makes you even more awesome. Thanks a lot for this program, really!

One request - being able to switch stroboscopic light (with set parameters) ON without need to continuously press button. I.E strobo-torch mode.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yesterday I've suggested it, today, before my fingers were even able to rest, You've implemented it
Thanks! I aim to please.

One request - being able to switch stroboscopic light (with set parameters) ON without need to continuously press button. I.E strobo-torch mode.
Ah, well, yeah, I did the continuous-hold thing on purpose. It's pretty obvious from the V4L2 parameters that the guys who set up the flash LED interface really don't want you to be leaving the LEDs on at high power. I'm already nervous that I'm bypassing that with this app; I really don't want to provide a way for folks in general to just turn on their LEDs and then walk away...

However, you're free to take the source code and modify it as you please. I've just set up a Github account for Lanterne, you can find it here:

https://github.com/jpietrzak8/Lanterne

I haven't gotten all the licensing rigamarole in place yet, but it's going to be under the same "GPL 2 or greater" thing as Pierogi is.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yeah, I kinda thought that would probably be the way to do it too, although the amount of processing required seems prohibitive. I've never done video processing before; maybe there's a lightweight way to pull brightness info out of a video stream?
There has to be an acceptable way of doing that if you can do stuff like face recognition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Wh4NuRfeU

And then really cool stuff like this from Icuk (God bless him, rest in peace):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSrw...endscreen&NR=1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It may be possible if you use the histogram function of fcam http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/apiDocs...histogram.html

there are a couple if examples but probably the best one is fcam's own autoexpose function source
http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/apiDocs...pp_source.html

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
In the process of setting up the source files to comply with the GPL licensing mechanism, I went ahead and cleaned up the user interface a bit, so there's a small update to Lanterne now making its way up to extras-devel. All this really does is move the torch and strobe options into their own windows, and place buttons for each Lanterne function onto the main window.

(I'm currently educating myself on the subtleties of playing with video hardware... )

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Some more feedback after further playing with your creation.

I suppose it would make sense to have a toggling button for SOS?
You never know if N900 and Lanterne could save somebodies life.
I have added Lanterne to Lens Launcher so I can select it quickly.

Presonally I am finding the default button height too small.

Is it correct the values do not save? I suppose now the settings are on mostly on one page out the way, a "QSettings:save" button and a "reset to default" button should be fairly easy to add to the bottom of the window?

Edit:-
Also bugtracker is missing from the control file

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch