Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Love the app myself, though I don't have as huge a connection as some.

Last week we spoke with Nokia. We were actively discouraged from developing for Maemo any further. There are lots of things we love about Maemo, including an awesome user community so we're disappointed to see it EOL'd . It's frustrating to have put so much effort into an app only to see the platform it's on be terminated . Whether we reappear on MeeGo -- the successor to Maemo -- depends in part on Nokia. In the mean time, our conversation with Nokia has led us to deprioritize the update we were working on, though no final decision has been made yet as to whether or not it'll ship. I'll keep you posted.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
damn those nokia people!

just when some people are doing good things for maemo, and they just have to interfere...

@peter : please keep developing instinctive for maemo, we will wait patiently for your final release

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Forget MeeGo, I'll never buy a Nokia device again.
My next device will be an Android for sure. Although it's not a real Linux OS, it has a lot of games and apps.
Please keep working on this excellent player, or please release the source for us to finish it

Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
In the mean time, our conversation with Nokia has led us to deprioritize the update we were working on, though no final decision has been made yet as to whether or not it'll ship. I'll keep you posted.
Please, at least release what you have developed so far. It would be shame to lose all that stuff. Development-wise though, you will most likely be ok as long as you are doing it with Qt: the same player should work on either Maemo5 or Meego.

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
Forget MeeGo, I'll never buy a Nokia device again. My next device will be an Android for sure. Although it's not a real Linux OS, it has a lot of games and apps.
Coming from you, it is really discouraging =(

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Don't worry, I'll keep trying to make some apps for Maemo.
I won't sell my device (cause I'll loose a lot of money if I do it)
But update to the next nokia device? Never!

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
What a huge letdown, I've been anxiously waiting for the final release especially the new UI you showed lately and the promise for seamless playback. I'd pay for that no doubt.

Now December 13th is only a week ahead, and we get this sudden sad news.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I posted over in the ask the council thread, to see if perhaps this is worth looking into.

I'd hope that there is a mis-understanding here, and not Nokia intentionally undercutting commercial development on the N900/Maemo OS.

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
What a huge letdown, I've been anxiously waiting for the final release especially the new UI you showed lately and the promise for seamless playback. I'd pay for that no doubt.

Now December 13th is only a week ahead, and we get this sudden sad news.
We haven't made a final decision about how to wrap up development -- one last update is still a possibility. I can't share all the details of our conversation with Nokia but suffice to say Nokia convinced us to abandon this project.

To date, we've had about 60,000 downloads on Maemo. There aren't a lot of N900s out there so that's actually a pretty big chunk of the market. We're not far from a 1.0 where we can start charging but the numbers just don't make sense. If you assume the industry standard rate where 2% of our downloads will convert to paying customers and we charge $4.99 for the app, we stand to make about $6000 or in other words a fraction of what our devs costs have been. At best, $6000 will cover the remaining dev costs.

When we started developing for Maemo we were lead to believe that Maemo was going to be a big focus for Nokia going forward. Given what we've all been hearing about MeeGo that statement is still probably true. However, the timeframes are definitely not what we were expecting. Until MeeGo ships there just isn't a market to develop for here

Last edited by peter@instinctiv.com; 2010-12-06 at 18:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post: