Active Topics

Originally Posted by DestinysChild View Post
That's helpful - appreciate it. Of course, based on my fledgling photography experience, it seems a great deal of how well the exposure turns out is based on where exactly you choose your focus/exposure point. With the N9, it seems that these are one and the same point (which, for general purposes, is somewhat reasonable).
I think the camera app does some sort of average exposure metering. The ability to set center-weighted or spot metering would be an excellent addition to the camera app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

The Following User Says Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^ Enhancement request/s dude!
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/
All the better when you've got solid logic to back-them-up, as you do.
You could even tweet Damien the tracker no's once they're lodged, as a small nudge
I'm going to be bug/enhancement submission crazy once I finally have my N9.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-16 at 17:46.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@OP

Most of your claims in your prior "N9's camera is poor compared to N900's" thread didn't smell right.
And Damien Dining was in agreement (tweeted him)....
I suspect you're coming from an un-solid (technically) place again...
But I'll wait for commentary from others who own both, & can weigh-in.
Having owned both, out of the box the N9's camera is far better than the N900's, in low light and generous light. There isn't really anything to argue about there. With Bless900/Fcam that may be different, but it's impossible to fairly judge since neither is available for the N9.

As has been said earlier in the thread, the N9 does have trouble with exposure in less-than-bright light; this can be clearly seen in its tendency to blow out low-light images with its own flash.

I'm definitely not a photography expert so I am probably wrong here, but might the OP's examples be partially due to the N9s larger lens? Taking a direct photo of a bright and close light source in a dark room seems like a pretty reliable way to overexpose a shot.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by impact View Post
The camera itself (hardware) is fine, it's the camera app's inability to decently measure correct exposure that is the problem.

Fortunately there are lots of manual options in the menu including the ability to manually set exposure compensation. Use that and you'll get much better night photos.

I think your picture is not typical for the problem I said.
Because there is no strong light source in your photo.

I admit that N9 had and strong post editing functions,

And in many cases, we can get fair enough photos after editing,
like this one :

By setting the exposure compensation to +2.0EV, and enhance the Brightness and Contrast in post editing, I got this nice picture, for a smartphone.

But you must notice that there is no strong light source in these photos. When meeting the strong light source, the picture becomes unacceptable.

Here are some examples :

A fruit shop in night, the glare just cover the fruits :

On the street, the glare is very obvious :

This is a large LED screen on the wall of the mall, but you cannot even identify it from the photo :

I think we cannot use a standard of DSLR camera or even Nokia N8 to compare to N9, it is not fair. The N9 camera module is much smaller, or you can say compact in size.

But comparing to iPhone 4/4S or Samsung Galaxy S2, or N900, the glare problem is very obvious.

Many details get lost when meeting the strong light source, and these details cannot be find back even by strong post editing function of N9. So I am wonder is there any way to fix it through a software update ?

Unfortunately no amount post-editing cannot save overexposed images. You would have to set negative exposure correction or lower ISO before you take the shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
Unfortunately no amount post-editing cannot save overexposed images. You would have to set negative exposure correction or lower ISO before you take the shot.
Yes, you are right. I think it should be called "overexposed".

The N900 and N9 had at least 1.5EV difference in this situation.

here is another sample :

The Luma 800 (using the same camera module as N9) performance is worse than iPhone / Galaxy S2.

Yes, setting the exposure compensation to -1.5EV works on these situations. But even after doing this, the image quality and focus accuracy of N9 is still not as good as N900. I think it should be caused by the CMOS size.

Damian Dinning had replied me several days ago on Twitter,
I asked why there is about 1.5EV difference in low light condition between N9 and N900.

And he answered it is due to the different light metering method between N9 and N900. There are cons and pros for both in different situations.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
And he answered it is due to the different light metering method between N9 and N900.
Perhaps... Def. nothing to do with the N900's CMOS being bigger though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-20 at 18:04.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Yes, setting the exposure compensation to -1.5EV works on these situations. But even after doing this, the image quality and focus accuracy of N9 is still not as good as N900. I think it should be caused by the CMOS size.

Damian Dinning had replied me several days ago on Twitter,
I asked why there is about 1.5EV difference in low light condition between N9 and N900.

And he answered it is due to the different light metering method between N9 and N900. There are cons and pros for both in different situations.
I prefer a better sensor over low light performance... Tell that to Mr. Dinning

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post: