Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
is there any way to being it to the homescreen ....

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by talmage View Post
Can I disable the places checkin? I don't want to use it ever, ever, ever.

Would you tell us, please, Mr. Merren, why Effing needs each of the three, four, or five FB permissions it asks for? I'd be interested to know if it could use fewer.
Wow. You're welcome.

No need to disable...just don't use the places feature if you don't want to.

As for permissions: They are rather poorly described by Facebook when accepting, but you can read about them here: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/...on/permissions. Most are obvious except for the offline access. This allows an app which is not tied to a web session to use the api beyond a short time. Without it you would need to log in nearly every time you used the app. With it the app can use a token obtained to access facebook for discrete transactions until you invalidate it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cutehunk04 View Post
is there any way to being it to the homescreen ....
That is not possible here, but I am thinking of something like that for a separate project. There is a framework out there for using Qt in desktop widgets, but it is unclear whether it would be difficult to code and test in Qt creator, and whether such a thing would suck the N900 battery dry. Too much else on the plate to start that now, also.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Wow. You're welcome.
I'm sorry. I offended you and I didn't mean to. I could have phrased it better. What I meant was that don't use the places feature of Facebook and that I will never use it. I am happy that Effing doesn't require me to use Facebook places.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
No need to disable...just don't use the places feature if you don't want to.
Will the other features of Effing still work if I don't grant it the checkin permission?

As for permissions: They are rather poorly described by Facebook ...
Thanks. I get it.

Whatever permissions you deny, will cause facebook to stop sending that information. For example, if you deny the user_checkins permission, then facebook will not tell the app about any checkins you have. If every third post in your statuses is a checkin, they simply won't be returned in a query. In general, denying the user_* permissions just makes that type of object not be returned in a query.

The pubish_* permissions are, as expected, the ability of the app to publish that type of object on your behalf. If you deny the publish_checkins permission and never try to do a checkin, you will not notice the difference. If you do try to publish a checkin without the permission, you should get an error that (I think) the app will show to you. (I am only slightly uncertain because I do check the returned info for these types of errors, but facebook doesn't really give great error messages for everything.)

In any case, you can deny the permission for either reading or writing checkins and the app will work fine. Feel free to try it...you are certainly thinking of things that I didn't consider, you won't break anything by trying, and I (and I'm sure others here) will appreciate hearing the results of your testing.

Also: if you are interested in seeing what the backend does with your permissions, you can check out the source code at Gitorious. It is always stressful to cede permissions on facebook because you don't know what will be done with your data. But the great thing about open source (and platforms like Maemo that encourage it) is that even if you can't read the source code yourself you can be reasonably assured that someone else would spot nefarious code.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
first of all i likes to say i'm love your effing apps so much....
every new apps update is very useful to me...

i just have an idea to makes your apps more better....
can you somehow add new feature where we can add comment on our status or reply to friends that have comment to our status????

replying to our own comment i thinks we makes this apps a lot more fun to use....

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
super app
great ui
places functionality kis brilliant
look forward to more updates

how to use check in place ? i try GPS successful then i type new post press sending but it not post to my fb wall..

Originally Posted by meLi View Post
how to use check in place ? i try GPS successful then i type new post press sending but it not post to my fb wall..
I think when you use the places function and it comes up with "success" it then list a number of places that you are near. You select the one you're at and then post it to Facebook.

That is my understanding of it.