Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I would like to participate, but I still need to learn QT. How long does one need to learn QT?
And is PyQT easier to learn?
Is PyQT better/worse than QT?
I did JAVA a little bit but don't know C+
"Just do it!"

I think it's worth the effort in any case. No matter if you win some price or not. If you have fun coding and you improve your skills you are already a winner.

As for the technical side: I would suggest to go with QML. One has to differentiate between the Qt C++ stuff and QML quite heavily.
QML itself is, I'd say, pretty easy to learn and you have the benefit (development-wise) that it is interpreted. Hence, you can easily hack on your device and develop very quickly without needing any compile steps.
And if you go with PySide (that's the python binding stuff for Qt) you gain even more flexibility. But, honestly, I don't know if PySide is actually maintained currently and if there are aims to port it to Qt 5.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/ and I also recommend you to try Qt Quick / QML in the first place. If you are interested, my first hand experience (as a non-programmer) can be found here.

PySide activity, see commits and release tags in the past weeks: http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside

No idea about Qt but I would understand if nobody touches it before Qt 5 itself is at least beta. Anyway, we are digressing. No newbie needs to put their hands in Qt 5 at this point.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
And if you go with PySide (that's the python binding stuff for Qt) you gain even more flexibility. But, honestly, I don't know if PySide is actually maintained currently and if there are aims to port it to Qt 5.
As PySide recently became part of the Qt Project, it would be weird if it didn't support Qt 5 in the future. Also, the latest release is about a month old.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
If I recall correctly, "we" have 40 N950's and 60 N9's.

As we have 4 "device seeding" main categories - while coding competition is only one of them - it sounds logical to set "default" as 10 N950's and 15 N9's. If, due to - for example - less devices being used for niche categories like qt5 - their could be used for CC.

I hope that things like Community Awards won't get hurt by CC participants apetite for N950. I don't see any reason why 25 of 40 N950's should be allocated to coding competition.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I have been thinking for a while about doing something like Firefox Home on the iPhone. I know that we have Fennec on both the N900 and N9 etc., but I like to use the Firefox Sync capability as a password storage and retrieval mechanism. By building a client that can access the Firefox Sync database, and perhaps generate passwords and facilitate easy copying and pasting, this would make my online life easier and hopefully securer as I used all randomised passwords making life a bit difficult, if secure sometimes

I'm completely new to Qt though, with a bit of C++ experience.

With respect to the voting system I think it was already proposed to use the one we used for last years competition. I also think, we should "formalize" the voting system as soon as possible in order to avoid any hassle later on.

So, for last years competition we decided to use FTSTV (Fractional Transfer Single Transferable Vote) with a script created by neal to establish an order amongst the participants.
Code:
election=$1

tail -n 1 $election | sed 's/"//g'

>/tmp/result
for i in $(seq $(expr $(head -c 2 $election) - 1))
do
  openstv-run-election -r CsvReport -s $i FTSTV $election \
    | awk -F, '/Elected/ { print $1 }' \
    | while read w
        do if ! grep -q "$w" /tmp/result
          then
            echo $w >> /tmp/result
            break
          fi
        done
done
awk 'BEGIN { i = 1; } { print i, $0; i++; }' /tmp/result | sed 's/"//g'
Which is run as follows:
Code:
for i in *.blt; do sh results $i; done
iirc, the above code of the script needs to be stored in a file named "results" that is called from the for-loop quoted above.

You can find neals post where he posted this script there: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...36#post1132136
Furthermore, on this page of last years thread there are many posts that explain the situation etc.: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561&page=89

If it helps I would volunteer for counting the votes this time as well. But I would like some other people to do the counting as well in order to avoid errors or concerns. Generally, the results via the proposed system above should be reproducible by everyone.

Edit: You can get the openstv version we used also last time from: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/openstv
You can simply extract the exectuble from the debian package.

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-05-21 at 15:21.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
I'd like to partecipate to the coding competition, how should I submit my application?
The wiki just links to this topic.
Is there some place with more info (like the deadline) or I just have to wait?

Thanks

Last edited by sakya; 2012-05-23 at 10:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sakya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by sakya View Post
I'd like to partecipate to the coding competition, how should I submit my application?
The wiki just links to this topic.
Is there some place with more info (like the deadline) or I just have to wait?

Thanks
+1, I want to participate, I'm coding some stuff, if I relase soon (next 1-2 weeks) an alpha-quality version, will I be still able to participate? Rephrasing the question: will only apps released after certain date be allowed to enter or basically any up which is relatively new (few weeks old at most)?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
The submissions-period hasn't started yet.
So it would be better for you to continue developing your app, so it has beta or final quality when the submission period starts.
I expect it to start mid June.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Hi everyone!
Good news!
We'll relaunch competition.meetmeego.org in a new design, close to the maemo.org design.
If you have a proposal for a new banner (instead of the Berlin skyline) please let me know.

The old site will continue to be available as working backup.

Now we need to agree on categories.

To start brainstorming:
The ones from last year:
- Business & Office
- Games
- Desktop (Widgets)
- Fun & Strange
- Graphics & Multimedia
- Location & Navigation
- Network & Communication
- System & Utilities
- plus one Beginner Prize possible from any category (like last year)

New rule: just new apps allowed, no updates to existing apps, except in the new category "Best update to an existing app".

New categories:
- Best Qt app
- Best update to an existing app
- Multi-Platform-Award (if your app runs on as many platforms (all maemo flavours, Harmattan, Nemo, Desktop, MeeGo, BB10, WebOS, Android, iOS, you name it) as possible)

Would make 12 categories.
I'd love to have fewer. What do you think about killing those which had the fewest submissions last year?
i.e. "Desktop (Widgets)" and "Fun & Strange" (check http://competition.meetmeego.org/categories for an overview)
Now we would be at 10 categories.

How many N950s?
What about as many N950 as we have categories, to have one N950 per category?

1st prize: N950
(if winner has a N950 already, a N9 will automatically be the 1st prize, N950 will be the 2nd prize
or
1st prize winner can decide to take a N9 instead of the N950 (but could also decide to go with the N950 despite of having one already).
I'd like to see all N950 in hands of devs instead of on ebay)

2nd prize: N9 (N950 if 1st prize winner decides to take the N9)

3rd prize: money from community fund

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-24 at 14:03.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas