Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Engadget is reporting that its out!

As promised, Nokia has just posted the Internet Tablet 2006 operating system for download -- although as of this writing you get redirected to an error page -- giving 770 owners access to those handful of new features announced last month. You'll recall that instead of dropping a QWERTY-equipped version of the tablet as we were hoping/expecting, Nokia disappointed more than a few fans by only unveiling a software upgrade that adds an on-screen keyboard along with the Google Talk client. Even worse, Nokia warns that "installed applications designed for OS 2005 will not be compatible with OS 2006 edition and will not be restored even from backup," so kiss your old apps goodbye if you're planning on upgrading. Still, current 770 owners will probably want to take plunge just so they can run programs developed exclusively for the new OS, and hopefully the software 'board will suffice until Nokia takes our advise and changes up the input style in the next generation of WiMax- and webcam-sporting tablets.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/30/n...now-available/

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144790

I was just on the Maemo website and there is still nothing about the full 2006 update.

SJ30-Tungsten E- Zodiac 2-?

Does the location column count?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
yeah, i don't see it either, I just saw it posted on engadget. Maybe it'll be up within the hour.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
looks like false alarm, I still see 'Latest version: 5.2006.13-7 (April 18, 2006).' on the page http://europe.nokia.com/A4144790 and no download link

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Not false alarm. http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=2317
New version is 1.2006.26-8.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Is this guy drunk?

"You'll recall that instead of dropping a QWERTY-equipped version of the tablet as we were hoping/expecting, Nokia disappointed more than a few fans by only unveiling a software upgrade that adds an on-screen keyboard along with the Google Talk client."

I'd think users would be far more disappointed if their 2 months old 770 were replaced by a brand new device.

Mah!

Originally Posted by maxilogan
Is this guy drunk?

"You'll recall that instead of dropping a QWERTY-equipped version of the tablet as we were hoping/expecting, Nokia disappointed more than a few fans by only unveiling a software upgrade that adds an on-screen keyboard along with the Google Talk client."

I'd think users would be far more disappointed if their 2 months old 770 were replaced by a brand new device.

Mah!
Engadget's bloggers all need to take a class in Journalism. That is the biggest problem I have with them. Unprofessional, slanted, and downright rude.

SJ30-Tungsten E- Zodiac 2-?

Does the location column count?

Still not seeing the link!

WTF?

Someone mind posting a homebrew link to the image they downloaded while the page was still up?

This "available then suddenly unavailable" crap smacks of both asshattery AND douchebaggery.

Originally Posted by Bowie
Someone mind posting a homebrew link to the image they downloaded while the page was still up?
Try "Working download link from Milhouse here" -link at 2006 OS area at this forum.

Install and run the wizard and follow instructions to download new image.

Last edited by Invicta; 2006-06-30 at 16:09.