Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
[...] the problem is that they do not tell what is the real reason of delay and what exact HW changes were made and even why [...], but telling "all you need to know..." [...]
As you can read from the comments below the blog post:

Originally Posted by Juha Paakkari (Jolla employee)
The key difference from the user point of view is the more balanced color spectrum. We are also publishing a tablet hardware update post soon here on the blog, and there we’ll explain the HW progress in more detail.
they are going to publish some details about the HW change.

There are also some interesting parts regarding Sailfish OS 2.0 'hidden' in the comments section:

Originally Posted by Juha Paakkari (Jolla employee)
The hardware and software tracks are separate and both of them do have an affect on the delay (as said in the blog). ’Sailfish OS 2.0’ is a term we use for the evolution of the OS, and many related features will be on the phone already during the Spring. We will also continue the monthly updates to Sailfish OS.
So it sounds like we won't see SFOS 2.0 before the Tablet launch.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
At least the new unlock screen and esp. new notifications screen they've shown from 2.0 would be nice to have already

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
I have to say i was quite baffled by the news.

Firstly i never understood the opening / closing of the perk goals as it looked to me as if Jolla wanted to circumnavigate the implementation of a 3G / 4G modul.

Secondly the rollout and stop of the latest opt-in update and the delay of the update for non-opt-in users.

Thirdly the postponing of the Tablet by !!!2 months!!!. I thought that Jolla would really have been able to deliver the Tablet at the end of May. After all the campaing was quite succesfull and Jolla knew from Nov. 20th that the project is go.

Don't get me wrong i believe in the goals of the company and its sailors (privacy, need of a 3rd ecosystem in mobile world, european alternative) since i am very happy with the Jolla phone. As a customer i preordered the tablet at the same time as the presentation took place @Slush on Indiegogo.

Right now my entusiasm got cooled off a lot cause right at this moment i dont see neither updates nor a Tablet....sad

Edit: Just checked to not whine without a reason, there was up to now only one update this year (since 12 and 13 were merged)

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
As you can read from the comments below the blog post:

they are going to publish some details about the HW change.

There are also some interesting parts regarding Sailfish OS 2.0 'hidden' in the comments section:

So it sounds like we won't see SFOS 2.0 before the Tablet launch.
If they know details, why not inform at least what HW specs are. Telling we'll update can take months and some times years with jolla :P
And i like the way people search for hints and rumors in comments instead of wondering why company doesn't tell you anything, and even more it gives a hype...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I do not believe that just changing screen can mess so much, otherwise they designed OS wrong, that you need to rewrite a lot of stuff if you change screen(size or resolution). Let's say you do not reinstall OS if you change monitor of your desktop. I do understand that some changes have to be done, but as they want to provide OS to other companies - adaptation should be easy one and screen is not so vital part.
I suspect it's nothing to do with SW rewrite, there just probably was a problem at the selected display vendor (availability/pricing/quality) so first new display module had to be sourced, and then the device vendor needs to change the enclosure parts a bit to accommodate the new display module.
After that a new pre-production run must be made with the new HW, and all approval tests redone.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I suspect it's nothing to do with SW rewrite, there just probably was a problem at the selected display vendor (availability/pricing/quality) so first new display module had to be sourced, and then the device vendor needs to change the enclosure parts a bit to accommodate the new display module.
After that a new pre-production run must be made with the new HW, and all approval tests redone.
Or probably there is no display yet the closed deal with?
Missing information leds to rumors and misunderstandings and good only to cover things (promised update blog post need to be checked by PR first? )

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I've yet to see a crowdfunded project that is not late. Excluding Pebble Time as their product was finalized already.

And I have no problems with that - essentially a part of the crowdfunding process - if everything is going according to the initial plan, they probably live in a different universe

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I've yet to see a crowdfunded project that is not late. Excluding Pebble Time as their product was finalized already.

And I have no problems with that - essentially a part of the crowdfunding process - if everything is going according to the initial plan, they probably live in a different universe
Normally I would agree with you. But what If a Company with 100+ employees are behind the campaign?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Even companies with over 1000+ employees are late sometimes.

I don't work in software any more, but when I did, the general rule of thumb was:-
Software only: get developers to do detailed granular breakdown Gannt chart to get accurate estimate of time required, then multiply by 1.5 to get the more likely release date (but don't tell developers this)
Hardware + software: the same, but use a factor of 2

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund