Notices

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
The user_added flag is something I made up so I could filter which IAP's to list in the UI, and prevent the user from removing the default access point.

I think it just takes any access point, without caring which one it is - but if you are getting consistent results with the latest one added being chosen by default that's a good thing I guess

Basically I think it comes down to the ICD not being designed for having more than one GPRS APN, which brings some unpredictable behavior

Thanks for reporting your findings!

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Ah, good to know. I was already about to start experimenting with removing the flag or assigning the flag to the default one...

My results were pretty consistent indeed: I tried a few dozen times either shutting down my wifi ap or disconnecting my gprs connection and then producing some activity that required an internet connection. With connection mode set to "always ask", "any" or GPRS (it shows my apn name but what it really means is "gprs"), the phone always connected to the apn added as last - which was the mms apn.

After I created another internet apn and repeated the tests, it is that new apn that always defaults. So apparently it is like that - the priority is the (reverse) order they were added in.

This probably doesn't count as a bug, since it was never meant to have more than one APN anyway...but could file a complaint for a missing APN sorting mechanism I guess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ziller View Post
Ah, good to know. I was already about to start experimenting with removing the flag or assigning the flag to the default one...

My results were pretty consistent indeed: I tried a few dozen times either shutting down my wifi ap or disconnecting my gprs connection and then producing some activity that required an internet connection. With connection mode set to "always ask", "any" or GPRS (it shows my apn name but what it really means is "gprs"), the phone always connected to the apn added as last - which was the mms apn.

After I created another internet apn and repeated the tests, it is that new apn that always defaults. So apparently it is like that - the priority is the (reverse) order they were added in.

This probably doesn't count as a bug, since it was never meant to have more than one APN anyway...but could file a complaint for a missing APN sorting mechanism I guess.
Cool, it's a decent enough workaround at least

Regarding bug... I guess it's related; https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5791

After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Probably a "fixed in harmattan", but...
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8460

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I've added a new APN for my standard internet and I'll let yo know how it goes. Hopefully it will solve the 'nuisance factor' and be one less thing to worry about.

Originally Posted by frals View Post
fAPN is a graphical front end for adding a new GPRS APN which you then can edit in Settings -> Internet Connections - for example to have a separate APN for MMS or corporate access.

I've uploaded fAPN version 0.5 to extras-testing and would like to have some testers (and voters! ).

http://maemo.org/packages/view/fapn/

Thanks for reading!

http://mms.frals.se/fapn.html

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
Hi...
I'm only able to choose my providers intert "Denmark, Telia Internet"... How to change the APN cuz it says fail and check apn..?

Thax, and nice ap bte..

Originally Posted by KevinSass View Post
Hi...
I'm only able to choose my providers intert "Denmark, Telia Internet"... How to change the APN cuz it says fail and check apn..?

Thax, and nice ap bte..
I'm sorry but I don't understand what the problem is with fAPN - is this maybe meant for the fMMS thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39737)?

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Last edited by frals; 2010-02-02 at 09:52.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Australia
works great for me thanks for the great app!

Originally Posted by KevinSass View Post
Hi...

Thax, and nice ap bte..
Can't find a solution there..
I'm using the settings from this link, but is not working..
I can sen but it says: fail to download message..

Telia settings
http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#Telia

i've watch a lot of videos, but nothing works...
What to do :/

Originally Posted by ziller View Post

I tried this approach, but no matter in what order I add the MMS APN and the new duplicate APN for the original packet connection, the other apps (browser, mail, etc) try to use the MMS APN.