Active Topics

Delete empty jpeg files from /home/user/.thumbnails/fail/hildon-thumbnail/ and try again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albanc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by slotti View Post
Ok, after nothing seemed to work, this is how I actually got it resolves (and if anybody can explain me why this actually worked, I would appreciate it).
I'm betting it was a permissions issue. Formatted under windows it may have preserved it's previous format. For some older phones (or pre-formatted under 2G cards) memory cards were formatted as FAT16, which would mean it couldn't handle longer file name, or doted names. Formatted on the device it would format it as either FAT32 or Ext3 (depending on how you formatted it).

Just a guess at this point, but that could have caused what you were seeing.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I'm betting it was a permissions issue. Formatted under windows it may have preserved it's previous format. For some older phones (or pre-formatted under 2G cards) memory cards were formatted as FAT16, which would mean it couldn't handle longer file name, or doted names. Formatted on the device it would format it as either FAT32 or Ext3 (depending on how you formatted it).

Just a guess at this point, but that could have caused what you were seeing.
the card did actually come out of my old E65, so this might have been one of the issues. I just thought it was weird that it happened after swapping the card.
btw. my 16 gig card keeps on failing. it's there for a couple of hours after inserting and suddenly it just disappeares. It's a ScanDisk class 2. works great everywhere else but in this phone....

Originally Posted by albanc View Post
Delete empty jpeg files from /home/user/.thumbnails/fail/hildon-thumbnail/ and try again
Nice thought, but did not make a difference. i had tried it before.

i have the same problem. havent change anything in settings and did not remove memory card. i just get broken thumbs instantly after the picture is taken. is there a map wich i can delete to let the n900 remap the thumbs?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
remap all your media (gets rid of the broken thumbnails)

tracker-processes -r

Update: posted in a hurry without reading the previous post. Not sure if this will help to solve this problem. But give it a go anyway.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
remap all your media (gets rid of the broken thumbnails)

tracker-processes -r

Update: posted in a hurry without reading the previous post. Not sure if this will help to solve this problem. But give it a go anyway.
for me this was only step 1 of 2. Step 2 was to physically delete the thumbnails. You'll fin them in
/home/user/.thumbnails/cropped/
just delete all of those
I did a reboot after this, which is not really required since the tracker shoul reindex just by opening the gallery, but I just like to type 'reboot'
hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to slotti For This Useful Post:
It renews the thumbs indeed... thanks for the help. for some reason though i still have one broken thumb at the bottom that did not go away. i cant open it directly either. but when i open the picture before that and slide to that one it opens nicely so i know the picture is not damaged and actually there... any headsup on this one?

by the way im running 1.2 so if any nokia people are reading this... and its a bug in 1.1.1 then ITS STILL IN THERE!

it took 6 minutes to index 536 pictures with thumbs.

Last edited by sygys; 2010-05-25 at 06:53.

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
It renews the thumbs indeed... thanks for the help. for some reason though i still have one broken thumb at the bottom that did not go away. i cant open it directly either. but when i open the picture before that and slide to that one it opens nicely so i know the picture is not damaged and actually there... any headsup on this one?

by the way im running 1.2 so if any nokia people are reading this... and its a bug in 1.1.1 then ITS STILL IN THERE!

it took 6 minutes to index 536 pictures with thumbs.
First let me say you are not running 1.2, but a leaked version of 1.2 that was only intended for the chinese market.
Now on to your peoblem. using the file manager, copy (do not move it, but copy) the file from the internal storage to the card or vise versa. Delte the original file afterwards and you should be fine.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
I had this same issue and the only fix I found was to actually open the image in something like Photoshop and resave them as a .JPG I noticed that several of my images must have been renamed during their lifetime and not properly saved in that filetype.

To test this take 1 image and do what I mentioned above and resave it to your phone/sd card.

If it's a file format issue you will see the image and the thumbnail with no issues.