Posts: 138 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Costa Rica
LATEST JOLLA MOBILE NEWS

2 WEEKS TO GO: SAILFISH OS PREDICTIONS ANYONE ?

November 7, 2012
With only 2 weeks to go before the big SLUSH event in Helsinki, Finland, and with Jolla understandably tightly-lipped in the run up to the event, I feel now is the time to make some predictions based on various hints and clues that have been dropped by Jolla….and well also just some good old fashioned speculation!

Based on what we know so far from the teams previous inputs on Maemo, MeeGo and from some hints I’ve been picking up, here is a list of predictions we may or may not be able to expect from the Sailfish OS.

Sailfish OS Speculations-Software:

Decent multitasking as seen in Maemo, MeeGo, Mer (this seems most likely due to previous iterations)
Integrated notifications (again, in common with previous iterations)
Multiple, customizable home screens (like Maemo maybe or maybe not)
Built in terminal (like previous iterations and inline with Jolla’s stance on keeping developers happy)
HTML5 support (quoted a lot by Jolla)
QT/QML support (the base for all previous iterations)
Potential android app support (this has been hinted at but not confirmed – could go either way)
Multiboot potential (this was possible with N900/N9)
Very unlikely, but there is potential for flash support (this was also a feature of N900/N9, but it seems most smartphones are moving away from flash)
Good native browser (or at least a good Firefox or other browser version as seen on N900/N9)
Good solid music/video player with support for all major media file types
Camera editing functions
Live widgets
3rd party software which would be added bonus:

Good Map software with offline support
Skype integration (would be nice to see like we had with N900/N9)
Support for all popular email accounts
Microsoft Silverlight support in browser would be a bonus but so very unlikely. It would make viewing certain sites (Netflix, Lovefilm etc) possible. Also Silverlight seems to be on its way out so again unlikely.
Maybe some nice games thrown in for free
Microsoft Office support
Okay, I’m running out of ideas here but if you can think of anything I missed or have something which you think might definitely make an appearance in the OS list based on what you’ve heard or know, please feel free to comment below. Let’s keep the guesses realistic based on what you may have heard through the grapevine. :-)

While the hardware side of things may not be finalised yet and certainly will not be making an appearance at the SLUSH event (according to Jolla), lets make some guesses on what we can hope to expect based on what Maemo, MeeGo and Mer are able to support.

Hardware Speculations:

Headphone socket with shared Video out would be a bonus (N900/N9 both supported this)
FM transmitter/receiver (N900 had both, but N9 could only use the receiver part – the question is does this feature have any merit in todays smartphone?)
Front and rear cameras (N900/N9 both had this)
A camera slide cover similar to N900 would be a bonus
Dual LED for camera flash
WIFI (A given in todays smartphones)
Bluetooth (Also most probably a given)
Probable multi core processor (Neither N900 or N9 had but it must be considered to remain competitive in todays market)
1GB plus ROM (N9 benefited hugely in multitasking from relatively high memory)
Minimum 16GB Internal Storage (with SD for extra) (could offer other options as well ie. 32gb/64gb)
Micro SD card slot (this would be great especially for multibooting but not entirely necessary as long as there is a high internal storage option: 32gb/64gb)
Removable battery maybe (again would be nice but not expected)
+/- 4″ gorilla glass screen (N9 was probably around the perfect size considering form/function ratio)
+/- 250 ppi (a hard one to assess and could be more or less – obviously the more the better!)
Most probably full touchscreen phone but potential to surprise us with a QWERTY option ala N900/N950/Lauta maybe?
Micro USB for charging and USB OTG
Okay, I’m running out of ideas here again but if you can think of anything I missed or have something which you think might definitely make an appearance in the hardware spec list based on what you’ve heard or know, please feel free to comment below. Let’s keep the guesses realistic based on what you may have heard through the grapevine. :-)

Last edited by Thorvic777; 2012-11-08 at 15:23.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Who are you? What is this? What is this information coming from? Are you inventing it? Why do you think we should care if so?

C'mon guys, it's just few days off the road. Be patient and stop posting your hints, whishes and so. It's so boring, thanks

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pordenone
why u copy the text from Jolla Tides site???
u could put only the page's link..
anyway OS Sailfish it is a newer versione of MeeGo
so right well

That's just a wish list now, isn't it?

It would be super nice if they ported it to the N9 too. Just to increase the install base or whatever. Shouldn't be impossible, considering their close ties to Nokia and all that..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Not sure if your headline is correct. But I could be wrong.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
not another one of these!!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Thorvic777 View Post
QT/QML support (the base for all previous iterations)
* Here "all" is defined as "one".

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Who are you? What is this? What is this information coming from? Are you inventing it? Why do you think we should care if so?

C'mon guys, it's just few days off the road. Be patient and stop posting your hints, whishes and so. It's so boring, thanks
what's the trouble here, I'm just asking what do you think about this post!!!

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
ok, i think is irrelevant and not useful at all