Posts: 34 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal, Porto
Hi
I want to show you the aplication I have been developing to control a quadcopter with a OpenPilot CopterControl (CC) board using the N950.

I'm using RN174 (WiFi-Serial link) to connect the mobile to CC. You can see more information here. The serial baudrate is 115200 between RN174 and CC. I'm sending the packets using UDP at a 20ms rate. The RN174 have a PCB antenna and that is a weakness of course, will need to do a PCB with a SMA antenna. The following image ilustrates the connection between CC and RN.

I started design the joysticks in QML but couldn't install the toucharea components :s so to get multi-touch I design the joysticks with the Graphics View Framework and handled the touches with QTouchEvent.

The icon xD

and the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlEXp9ioLM&hd=1

You can download the project here: http://dl.dropbox.co...le/OPMobile.zip

You can get more information about openpilot/hardware side here: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/10...-n950-meego-d/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to metRo_ For This Useful Post:
Wow, cool! Haven't heared of this CopterControl Board yet! Nice project...I will keep an eye on it as I alwasy wanted to build an quadrocopterfor myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to zappAtom For This Useful Post:
Very nice project. What about developing it in multiplatform way, i.e. for N900 also? It would be great to use build-in accelerometer for pitch angle, and leave screen for collective pitch only.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Thanks

The next two things I want to do are:
1-A QML menu for settings and show data from the board;
2-Use the built-in accelerometer to control.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Very nice project. What about developing it in multiplatform way, i.e. for N900 also?
/Estel
The only problem now is that N900 doesn't support multitouch and different resolutions but the code only use Qt basics libs so I think it should compile to N900 without problems.

It would be great to use build-in accelerometer for pitch angle, and leave screen for collective pitch only./Estel
What do you mean with collective pitch?
I need to control 4 channels: throttle, yaw, roll and pitch. I'm thinking in the roll, pitch and yaw using the acc and throttle using the screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metRo_ For This Useful Post:
Exactly - collective pitch is term used for (real) heli's as throttle equivalent. Technically, Heli's wing is spinning at constant RPM no matter if he's flying or staying on ground - only the spin's angle changes, thus creating more or less drag. Of course, it also require more power from engines to maintain constant RPM.

In simple quadropter models, You're probably not changing pitch of spin's wings at all, but only its RPM, so You're right, it's purely throttle.
---

Thanks again for such awesome project. i think that lack of multi-touch isn't any problem - as You've said, accelerometer may be used for roll, pitch and yaw, while on-screen slider for throttle. It could work on N900 the same way.

I'm really eagerly waiting for results, despite not having any airframe to test right now

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
In simple quadropter models, You're probably not changing pitch of spin's wings at all
Yes, in quadcopters you only need to change the RPM but are others options http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/94...-single-motor/

The Following User Says Thank You to metRo_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
just had a quick look through the links in the first post - very interesting!

I may be getting into a new hobby for me and my lad (5)