so, if you want true gnu/linux on your android phone, than this is for you:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1617684
im running it myself on my motorola atrix 4g. It runs the gentoo OS natively (you can ssh onto it from your android os, or if you put it into HDMI you get native X with hw acceleration on your tv/monitor, together with a bt mouse and kb you have a so to say fully functional linux computer - rather slow, but it has all). Sadly enough, this is for now the only phone that has this working fully (there are ports for the motorola razr, using the webtop than chrooting into gentoo, but thats just not it). So if you have great knowledge of linux, study how this is made on the atrix and try porting it to the one X/galaxy s3 , which have was superior SoCs as compared to the atrixs tegra2. There is one more thing by canonical called ubuntu on android, which runs it natively too, but sadly they are keeping it closed source...

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
I'm not tired of Maemo, I'm tired of N900.
I just wanna see Maemo on a better device before I die.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by K9999 View Post
Same here! I'd love Maemo5 on a 7 or 10 inch tablet, with attachable keyboard. How sweet would that be? Give it a dual-core 1.2ghz processor with 2GB of ram and it'd be the ultimate device.

Though (and some may totally disagree with this) but I want a resistive touch screen that has multitouch. Yes they do have them, and yes resistive is better for drawing, etc. That would be my dream setup. At least until the multitouch stuff works under Gnome-shell, then I could probably just go with a pure Linux tablet with that. After all, a lot of the design of it was copied from Maemo 5.

slaapliedje

I agree to the last two comments about wishing for Maemo on a better device and a fast tablet would be great.

I would be happy with a Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Maemo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've searched everywhere, but I have to improvise now because I cannot figure out what to do about this.

I have decided to use the 0xFFFF flasher since it is free software, but there are barely any detailed instructions for flashing images to the N900 eMMC and rootfs, step by step. It seems to have support for most of the functions of flasher-3.5, except coldflash. And I can always use flasher-3.5 to "debrick" if I need to...

What I am trying to do is learn about this zImage and Fiasco format business. I am trying out SHR-Core, because the page here:

http://elektranox.org/n900/kernel/uboot.html

I followed these instructions, but I am stuck on the make process. I have checkedout, patched and ran the make nokia_rx51_config command. But when I type make I get this error:

Code:
strip mkimage
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mrrhq/src/u-boot/tools'
make -C examples/standalone all
/bin/bash: arm-linux-gcc: command not found
dirname: missing operand
Try `dirname --help' for more information.
make[1]: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mrrhq/src/u-boot/examples/standalone'
/bin/sh: 1: arm-linux-gcc: not found
dirname: missing operand
Try `dirname --help' for more information.
arm-linux-gcc  -g  -Os   -fno-common -ffixed-r8 -msoft-float   -D__KERNEL__ -DTEXT_BASE=0x80e80000 -I/home/mrrhq/src/u-boot/include -fno-builtin -ffreestanding -nostdinc -isystem  -p
ipe  -DCONFIG_ARM -D__ARM__         -march=armv5 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes    \                                                                                                                       -o hello_world.o hello_world.c -c
make[1]: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [hello_world.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mrrhq/src/u-boot/examples/standalone'
make: *** [examples/standalone] Error 2
Anyway, I like the bit of criticism: "The Maemo guys ****ed up again." Haha! But I forgive you guys.

While I was playing around, thanks to the Maemo and FSO Wiki, I was able to learn about R&D mode, and I enabled that along with some flags. Now I don't have to hold down the power button anymore, yay.

I'm on a leg now, deciding if I want to try SHR or FSO (Debian) on the N900. I will probably try SHR first and possibly figure out how to dual-boot the Debian OS later.

I want to replace the bootloader (is it stored in rootfs or NAND?) with Das U-Boot, firstly, then I want it to boot a kernel that works for both FSO and SHR. Otherwise, I can use a zImage (which is used with kexec, right?) and boot up a custom kernel for each OS, stored in its own "image" (I think that's how this works).

My question is, how do I do this to eMMC and rootfs? Not to the SD Card. Can I just download a .jffs2 file from SHR-Core and flash that? Or is this process more complex as I expect it to be?

I'm guessing Maemo guys won't help me anymore on this endeavour?

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
umm.. keep googling and reading?
maybe look at fdisk'ing your NAND to keep maemo.
then make entries into u-boot (maemo rootfs).. same as booting off micro SD??

i'm not much of a linux guru tho.

Edit: you wont be able to use your M900 as a phone while doing all this??

Last edited by bingomion; 2012-08-01 at 20:29.

I remember... win31 wasn't too bad... you can try if you want.

The concept is that, if you want, you can choose.

.....or choose another device.

Originally Posted by mrrhq View Post
I've searched everywhere .....

While I was playing around, thanks to the Maemo and FSO Wiki, I was able to learn about R&D mode ...

I'm guessing Maemo guys won't help me anymore on this endeavour?
IIRC, i was reading somewhere around here strongly discouraging activation of r&d mode ...

maemo community is here and they help, but all that you are asking has probably been answered ...

so please do some googling related to debian/flashing/booting/kp etc on site:talk.maemo.org and grab some bottles of your fav caffeinated drink and give the readings some 48 hours and i'm pretty sure you'll be a happy visitior.

but first !!!!! http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware plz.

Originally Posted by K9999 View Post
lol. i'm not tired of maemo and certainly not tired of n900. But yes it would be lovely to see maemo running on a much more powerful hw, something like multiple cores and lots of ram.

not a bad thing to wish for before one dies hehe.

The Following User Says Thank You to abubakar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
If you want to boot off the emmc take a look at how Meego CE/nemo can do it:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/EMMC

NB. their findings indicated it would be better (faster) to use an SD card.