Active Topics

Nokia's way on lay offs is to support people losing their jobs on finding or creating new jobs. They have offered patents for start ups and I believe Jolla is one of these start ups they are collaborating with. With talented people free of Nokia's corporate politics and restrictions they might be able to create something new and interesting, perhaps not mainstream but a viable niche product. I also believe that Intel has some interest in this...

Originally Posted by unknown.obvious View Post
This post will probably make everyone here hate me but I'll write it anyway.

Merproject people can't get things done. The best they can do is to put out something thats half broken or at least anoyingly wrong designed and the worst thing is they attitude because they can't admit their errors.

While the first part could be fixed with a better project Management, the second part not and it even prevents the first part and dooms the whole thing.

I am also not going to discuss this. This is my opinion and I don't care if someone is butthurt over it.
Some examples, please? It would be nice to hear about some details. I'm really curious, no irony intended. Are You referring to abandoning .deb packaging, or something deeper?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
MeeGo Harmattan == Meego Ver. Nokia; technically a Meego (I guess), but legally it's 100% owned by Nokia. Correct me if Im talking BS.
"MeeGo Harmattan" is a marketing name for Harmattan, which is what was originally going to be released as Maemo 6. The OS fails to meet the MeeGo compliance requirements in various ways, but an exception was granted by the Linux Foundation for the use of the MeeGo trademark. That was back when everyone involved (Nokia, LF, Intel) cared for the brand, nowadays it's an orphan and the whole thing is moot.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If they're going to be serious about things, I hope that they secure the small things that tend to make or break these kind of startups... distribution channels, coherent marketing, evangelists that have proper connections and all deadlines met. We all know the SDK for this so far...

I wonder if Nokia will sue to stop this since this might encroach on their IP, but if they were to get Intel's support for continued usage of MeeGo and a hardware manufacturer that we've heard of that delivers quality and high yields, this could be a good thing. In fact, with Firefox OS and this, it's starting to look like I have options beyond Jelly Bean for my next OS. I still can't count on Tizen yet though.

Regardless... this could catch on. I just hope it gets bigger than OpenMoko and Open Pandora.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-07-07 at 17:16.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
I don't think they will have any problem finding manufacturers of smartphones that want to use Meego in some models.
Ofcourse not, it may very well be Nokia too.

But what I meant was that I dont think they will make an upgrade/support N9 to make it compatible with theyr newer OS/UI etc... Its seems some has been confused to think so on the internet today.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-07 at 17:13.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
MeeGo Harmattan == Meego Ver. Nokia; technically a Meego (I guess), but legally it's 100% owned by Nokia. Correct me if Im talking BS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo#Licensing
"The MeeGo framework consists of a wide variety of original and upstream components, all of which are licensed under licenses certified by the Free Initiative (such as the GNU General Public License). In order to allow hardware vendors to personalize their device's user experiences, the project's license policy requires that MeeGo's reference User Experience subsystems be licensed under a Permissive free software license – except for libraries that extend MeeGo API's (which were licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License to help discourage fragmentation), or applications (which can be licensed separately.
"

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This could catch on. I just hope it gets bigger than OpenMoko and Open Pandora.
Agree but not to big because thats when all those big companys start to sue

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-07 at 17:15.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by unknown.obvious View Post
This post will probably make everyone here hate me but I'll write it anyway.

Merproject people can't get things done. The best they can do is to put out something thats half broken or at least anoyingly wrong designed and the worst thing is they attitude because they can't admit their errors.

While the first part could be fixed with a better project Management, the second part not and it even prevents the first part and dooms the whole thing.

I am also not going to discuss this. This is my opinion and I don't care if someone is butthurt over it.

I have to agree with you with the execution part. There is no doubt that these individuals are creative. However, creativity is only a small piece of the whole execution. N9 is an example, cool and creative device, poorly executed and not optimized to compete with smoother UIs. So, for them to succeed, they will need to roll up their sleeves, work around the clock, and have someone beat them over the head for UI that stutters, lags, and crashes. They need a practical man like Jobs to finish the product to perfection. Otherwise....it will be another flickering flame that will be extinguished rapidly.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I have to agree with you with the execution part. There is no doubt that these individuals are creative
And for the record, JollaMobile is not Mer. Mer is not JollaMobile. JollaMobile uses and contributes to Mer. Mer is a mobile core (without UIs and Hardware adaptations), usable and used by many different companies, with many different contributors.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Agree but not to big because thats when all those big companys start to sue
Yeah, neither do they need to become big.
It's another story if you can be small and successful in this industry.

Can't out of my head think a company in this business only making phones with 400-1000 workers and making profit. If any industry, this needs size and huge amounts of cash behind you. Big guys will eat you alive.

Anybody even remember that one company that released this huge hyping event that all the blogs caught year or two ago. They made a tablet and phone that looked okish, whole company was forgotten 2 months after, i wonder if they sold any.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla