Notices

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Redhat could also decide that their about 10.000 lines of code writed to Linux kernel are retired from it, but it's not probable.

Telegram founder is a person that have donated 1 millon dolars to Wikimedia foundation at 2011 (when he turned 27 years old). Maybe he have evil plans for Telegram, but I don't think so. He talked in an interview about financing Telegram servers with donations and/or premium contents for Telegram.

If you get all people to your jabber server it will be ok for me. While you don't get it, I'd like to be in contact to my friends with a not perfect but better system. I prefer unprobable risks to actual problems.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
did you ever read telegram protocol and api?

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
No but the info is on their web. Which is the problem?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
I just trust Durov and his initiatives. He is a person you can trust with no doubt.
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Telegram founder is a person that have donated 1 millon dolars to Wikimedia foundation at 2011 (when he turned 27 years old). Maybe he have evil plans for Telegram, but I don't think so. He talked in an interview about financing Telegram servers with donations and/or premium contents for Telegram.
This guy is an entrepreneur who appears to have made his millions from social networks. Social networks normally make their money by exploiting user data. With Big Data analytics nothing ever gets deleted. You'd be foolish to assume that they are not storing every single message that passes through the Telegram servers. That data will become very valuable (if not already) but I guess we all have different interpretations of what constitutes as being trustworthy.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I only see you don't know who Pavel Durov is. You only see "*** **** blah-blah *** SOCIAL NETWORK..." aha!
you dont ever know anything about telegram protocol, but discussing it
strange peoples around me

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I only see you don't know who Pavel Durov is. You only see "*** **** blah-blah *** SOCIAL NETWORK..." aha!
I'll admit I don't know a lot about him but I do not only see "*** **** blah-blah *** SOCIAL NETWORK...". There is nothing wrong with social networks when they are done right (i.e. open and distributed where the user has 100% control of their data) but as far as I can tell, his one doesn't fall into that category.

you dont ever know anything about telegram protocol, but discussing it
The point I am trying to make is that the data passes through a centralised server. The Telegram protocol is irrelevant to that argument as it does not disclose anything about the back-end and even if it did, you don't know what's actually running on the server.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2014-02-13 at 02:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
just Pavel never sell/open data centers for NSA/whatever. thats a difference between Facebook/vk and between whatsapp/telegram

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
just Pavel never sell/open data centers for NSA/whatever. thats a difference between Facebook/vk and between whatsapp/telegram
Maybe he won't sell data to any government agencies but that still doesn't deter from the fact that he owns, controls and holds the destiny of your data, not you.

Even if he was the most honest guy in the world, his centralised servers would become a target for government agencies so your data would never be safe.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
about telegram: your data on cloud datacenters (and its not just one datacenter are heavily encrypted. and with physical access to disk drives you cant read anybody conversations. only you can reand your conversations, untill you not telling your password to everybody

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
and i'm stopping answering in this thread, because i see many peoples are paranoid and dont ever try to read. all new encypted protocols = evil. datacenters = evil. OTR and XMPP are god bless.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:

Tags
spyware, telescam