Active Topics

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
will work as soon as CM 10.1 arrive to Nokia X

It's funny that Nokia X has bigger chance to get a fully working Sailfish OS than Nokia N9 which was always considered more open comparing to other handsets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4lpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by 4lpha View Post
It's funny that Nokia X has bigger chance to get a fully working Sailfish OS than Nokia N9 which was always considered more open comparing to other handsets.
Whats funny with that? Its very logic.

Nokia X has probadly newer Qualcom something with better GPU than N9 with 5 year old HW.

N9 Omap GFX driver is old and X11 only.

I guess Qt5/QtQuick2 and Wayland is using OpenGL more heavily than N9 did and depends on good better 3D GFX HW drivers.

There seems to be same issue with mer kernel adaptions for Qt5/Wayland for beaglebone black (anyone knows if there exist any mer/nemo/sail kickstart files for beaglebone black btw?) it has almost same GFX as N9 if I remember correct.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This is by far the best jolla thread. Keep up the great work! GJ Love sail on n9 even if its far from perfect.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-02 at 14:38.

I think there shouldn't be put that much effort in porting sailfish to N9.

If the orientation and the camera will not be fixed, who will use it as day-by-day phone (is anybody that uses now n9 with sailfish?)

Then is the GPS, Android interface, etc.

There is the sailfish theme which gives a flavour, is that one that could be improved eventually .

N9 is a phone beautiful as it is, i see no way you could improve it without too much effort. We love it, we don't want it to die, but that's it, it's already quite old, jolla is the future.

Moreover, in the near future sailfish will be fully functional on android phones, this is the thing Jolla team is working on.

How good will Sailfish run on android devices? will sailfish run on any android device? thank you for your answer.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Sailfish can be runned on android with CM10.1 capability

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Originally Posted by vasile123 View Post

If the orientation and the camera will not be fixed, who will use it as day-by-day phone (is anybody that uses now n9 with sailfish?)

Then is the GPS, Android interface, etc.

There is the sailfish theme which gives a flavour, is that one that could be improved eventually .

N9 is a phone beautiful as it is, i see no way you could improve it without too much effort. We love it, we don't want it to die, but that's it, it's already quite old, jolla is the future.

Moreover, in the near future sailfish will be fully functional on android phones, this is the thing Jolla team is working on.
As it is now - if you don't talk about number of apps and games - Sailfish in the future maybe seems to be better than Android, but that don't tell much - old school as even newest Android Kitkang is, but compared to MeeGO Harmattan it's still far behind even if the mentioned serious bugs on N9 will be solved - I think!

Last edited by Garp; 2014-03-04 at 17:04.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by vasile123 View Post

What about investigate/use https://gitorious.org/cameraplus ?

AFAIK the lowlevel N9 camdriver is there. But the jollaapp "depends" on android via libhybris camera drivers and N9 depends core linux driver. But both uses gstreamer but different sinks if I understand it correct... Some who know this better should clarify. But to me it sounds like cameraplus is something to look at?

Cameraplus was inititial for harmattan but seems to have some uknown state sailfishport. I tried compile some month ago, but failed. but did not investigate why it failed... go check it

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish