Notices

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Version 0.6.2

* try to fetch and show debian changelogs for packages from maemo.org
* show more package dependency information
* fixed: certain characters in depends/conflicts causes them to be cut in the UI
* warn about installing blacklisted packages as dependencies
* show download speed for package downloads
* enabled version-specific blacklisting for upgradeable packages
* some minor UI tweaks

At the moment it cannot be downloaded because the autobuilder is having problems uploading the package to the repository, but should become available after that is fixed.
Now available.

Last edited by hqh; 2010-08-09 at 08:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Something I was wondering: can Fapman update Fapman, or is it better to use the regular Apman (AKA Slapman) for that?

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Something I was wondering: can Fapman update Fapman, or is it better to use the regular Apman (AKA Slapman) for that?
I´m updating Fapman with Fapman at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to towhatend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Version 0.6.2

* try to fetch and show debian changelogs for packages from maemo.org
* show more package dependency information
* fixed: certain characters in depends/conflicts causes them to be cut in the UI
* warn about installing blacklisted packages as dependencies
* show download speed for package downloads
* enabled version-specific blacklisting for upgradeable packages
* some minor UI tweaks

At the moment it cannot be downloaded because the autobuilder is having problems uploading the package to the repository, but should become available after that is fixed.
Looking forward to this update. Current version on my device 0.5.2 has an interesting problem.
  • I select applications to remove
  • I click the arrow button
  • The program tries to install an update of itself and fails "dpkg reported errors while processing a package - see log for details"
  • The removal list is aborted

I've tried removing FApMan using apt-get remove
Code:
Do you want to continue? [y/n]? y
dpkg error processing fapman (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal.
Errors were encountered while processing:
fapman
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1)
Updating runs into the "post-removal script returned error exit status 255" error. it attempts the old post-removal script and the new post-removal script.

Although this is a special case example I am wondering if it is possible to:
  • separate the update/install "to-do" list from the uninstall "to-do" list. This would allow more flexibility in using the program, it would also allow me to uninstall the programs I want to remove should an update or install fail.
  • allow the failed operations to not end the removal or install but have fapman move on to the next item on the list.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2010-08-08 at 17:57. Reason: correct error reporting on fapman update attempt

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
I think its not very fortunate idea to use the wallpaper as background. I'm using this theme, and the 'bar' under the operator name is part of the wallpaper. Doesn't look very well in FAM. Also, the wallpaper gets scaled... Whats the problem using the HAM background picture? Not possible?

I think spending time on theme customization is quite useless. I don't want to set my custom background image for an application manager, I want it to look good and fit in by default. Just using the theme color for the background and having the default buttons look would be fine with me.

If big buttons look bad in QT, maybe file a bug? Although it can be a limitation of the GTK Hildon theme and its QT counterpart (which seems to be quite broken). I had similar problem with a progress bar. But I know at least one application, Mobile HotSpot, that has big-sized buttons that look well. Its probably using GTK though. Maybe using a different style for the buttons would be a solution? (Not sure how well would they look) Just call eg. button->setStyle(new QPlastiqueStyle);

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Something I was wondering: can Fapman update Fapman
Yes it can be done.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
I've tried removing FApMan using apt-get remove
Code:
Do you want to continue? [y/n]? y
dpkg error processing fapman (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal.
Errors were encountered while processing:
fapman
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1)
Updating runs into the "post-removal script returned error exit status 255" error. it attempts the old post-removal script and the new post-removal script.
All the post-removal script does is running update-sudoers, so (I assume) it should not fail on a correctly working system. Dpkg database/package info can get messed up though if dpkg has been forcibly aborted during installation at some point.

Since that version of fapman is no longer in the repos, I don't think you can try --reinstalling it...

What you could try, is removing /var/lib/dpkg/info/fapman.postrm and then fully removing the package with dpkg --purge fapman

[*]separate the update/install "to-do" list from the uninstall "to-do" list. This would allow more flexibility in using the program, it would also allow me to uninstall the programs I want to remove should an update or install fail.
That's actually how the program originally operated in the first versions... But doing everything on the same run is faster. And also your first priority should be trying to fix the errors, not to ignore them
Edit: I don't know if apt-get always follows this pattern, but usually it should process the packages in the following order anyway: download, remove, install.

[*]allow the failed operations to not end the removal or install but have fapman move on to the next item on the list.
No, if apt-get aborts on an error then it's not possible to continue. Forcing apt-get to ignore errors would probably be just asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by lukash View Post
Whats the problem using the HAM background picture? Not possible?
Take a look at the HAM background images that come with the default themes... extreme ugliness in every other program except in what they were originally made for

Originally Posted by lukash View Post
I think spending time on theme customization is quite useless. I don't want to set my custom background image for an application manager, I want it to look good and fit in by default. Just using the theme color for the background and having the default buttons look would be fine with me.
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I've decided not to touch the looks of the program for now... Because no matter what it looks like, there's always going to be someone who doesn't like it. I'd much rather concentrate on improving functionality.

Last edited by hqh; 2010-08-08 at 19:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I understand that you don't care for appearances more than content (good for you), but regarding the appearance I'd like to suggest this: Everyone makes sure their desktop looks nice and is readable - icons visible, links works, etc.

Wouldn't following desktop rules work just fine? For example, use buttons that are an extension of -say- links on desktop. Big picture, text on bottom, smaller. perhaps make buttons wider. The app will look just like a slightly modded desktop.

Just throwing it your way. Don't throw it back :o)

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Minor annoyance:
-When searched app list contains 6 or less results it stops doing "spring" animation when you try to move list up or down.

.edit
And thanks for implementing changelog fetch!

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Hmm.. for some reason I cannot upgrade anything with fapman. It finds the upgrades, but when trying to upgrade I get error and the log says that the package is already at latest version (which is not true). Upgrading via apt-get upgrade goes smooth.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
I also had that error (sort of.. I forgot the error message) last week, including the previous Fapman update I believe.. so I used the default app manager for the updates, since then it's just working fine again in Fapman