Notices

If everything goes right, new version (0.9.0) should soon be available in extras-devel. I've done a lot to make installation as easy as possible.

Now the only thing you need to do is copy the XLDLIBS directory from the <CD>/ALBION location (note: not the XLDLIBS you may have installed on your PC, that one doesn't contain all files) directly to the game directory. So if you didn't change the path, you need to have this: MyDocs/games/Albion/XLDLIBS. Thats all.

The setup.ini will be created by default (and the current one will be respected if you already have it set up the old way), the saves directory too.

There is now also the Albion Demo package, containing the demo files. To play the demo, all you need is to install this package and it will work. The demo files are loaded automatically if you don't have the <CDPATH>/XLDLIBS directory, otherwise this one is used.

(The demo currently crashes at the end. I don't think I can do anything about that, it probably happened with the original author's version too. Its not such a big problem.)

Testing of the installation process and both the demo and full game gameplay is highly welcome. There is a real chance I messed something up while doing the hacks... Please report any error you find here.

Next up is implementing the pause when the window loses focus and then I will try to promote the package to Extras (and most probably be done with it).

Enjoy.

EDIT: I should also mention, that due to the hacks the game now exits with an error every time you quit it. It doesn't seem to affect the gameplay in any way though. Please see the somewhat updated first post for more info.

Last edited by lukash; 2010-10-28 at 15:52.

Ahoj , I have problem with new version.
if I run albion, it ends with error.
fatal: Unable to open game directory '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/Albion'

when I changed location
fatal: Unable to open game directory '/home/user/MyDocs/Games/Albion/XLDLIBS'

I installed old version and it works.
Maybe I misunderstood someting.
Must I move files from XLDLIBS to /Albion ?

Last edited by Tailbone; 2010-10-29 at 16:54.

Cau
No, it should keep working without any change. Do you have a directory 'games' in your MyDocs, or 'Games'? The capital G should not matter on a fat32 partition, but maybe it somehow does? (or maybe you repartitioned your MyDocs?)

Did you change the path in ~/.config/albion/albion.cfg to have the capital G?
I'm at work now and can't check where exactly it fails (and I don't rememeber, its not what I was changing for this version actually). Please let me know if maybe renaming the dir to 'games' solves the problem.

Do you have a directory 'games' in your MyDocs, or 'Games'?

Me : I have Games.

maybe you repartitioned your MyDocs?

Me: No

Did you change the path in ~/.config/albion/albion.cfg to have the capital G?

Me: No change in config and there is G.With g it was the same problem.

Please let me know if maybe renaming the dir to 'games' solves the problem.

Me: No. But I cant change Games to games

$
~ $ cd MyDocs/
~/MyDocs $ ls -lat |head -4
drwxr-xr-x 110 user users 4096 Oct 29 17:34 ..
drwxrwxrwx 25 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:31 .
drwxrwxrwx 4 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:31 Games
drwxrwxrwx 6 user root 65536 Oct 29 12:20 Downloads
~/MyDocs $ mv Games games1
drwxrwxrwx 25 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:36 .
drwxrwxrwx 4 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:31 games1
~/MyDocs $ mv games1 games
drwxrwxrwx 25 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:37 .
drwxrwxrwx 4 user root 65536 Oct 29 17:31 Games
~/MyDocs $

Last edited by Tailbone; 2010-10-29 at 16:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tailbone For This Useful Post:
Ok, I got it, a stupid error. It failed cos you actually didn't have the demo files directory (from the demo package). Sorry..

0.9.1 in the repository with this bugfix.

Thanks

Jak se u nás říká you're welcome

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
strace sez...

open("/home/user/MyDocs/games/Albion/cd/albion/\r/xldlibs/fonts0.xld", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

you got a problem with that config parsing man... looks to me like that \r is screwing things up
---------------

edit: got it to run. edited /home/user/.config/albion/albion.cfg to have a gamedir = . then ran /opt/usr/games/albion from the shell with current working directory being the Albion/cd/albion directory

Last edited by ArnimS; 2011-03-07 at 12:03.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
strace sez...

open("/home/user/MyDocs/games/Albion/cd/albion/\r/xldlibs/fonts0.xld", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

you got a problem with that config parsing man... looks to me like that \r is screwing things up
---------------

edit: got it to run. edited /home/user/.config/albion/albion.cfg to have a gamedir = . then ran /opt/usr/games/albion from the shell with current working directory being the Albion/cd/albion directory
That \r is a windows linebreak. It means your SETUP.INI was edited under windows. You should edit it under a unix OS (can do it on N900 itself) and try to remove the redundant \r from the ends of the lines. I'm not sure how you managed to fix it the way you did... Maybe it was something else that fixed it?

Another way would be to delete everything in your game dir and just copy the XLDLIBS directory from the <CD>/ALBION location (note: not the XLDLIBS you may have installed on your PC, that one doesn't contain all files) directly to the game directory as described in an earlier post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=41
(keep your save files if you have them of course)

Changing anything in /home/user/.config/albion/albion.cfg shouldn't help the issue.

edit:
One could argue that being a dos/windows game the SETUP.INI probably has windows linebreaks by default. However, it does not seem to be the case and you are the first having this problem (or complaining about it).

Last edited by lukash; 2011-03-07 at 20:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
SETUP.INI comes from the Albion game data - of course it has CRLF but even your setup.cfg has CRLFs. Something is odd about how albion builds the string from setup.ini.

Editing setup.ini from

Code:
[SYSTEM]^M
VESA=Y^M
FPU=Y^M 
SOURCE_PATH=.\CD\ALBION\^M
LANGUAGE=2^M 
to:
Code:
[SYSTEM]^M
VESA=Y^M
FPU=Y^M 
SOURCE_PATH=.\CD\ALBION\
LANGUAGE=2^M 
fixes the \r
and the game loads from shell and gui.
If you could printf / cout the string passed to
open("/home/user/MyDocs/games/Albion/cd/albion/\r/xldlibs/fonts0.xld", O_RDONLY)
to the console or better yet to the gui, people can see the actual path that is built from albion.cfg and setup.ini.

cheers! this is one of the great games.

SETUP.INI comes from the Albion game data - of course it has CRLF but even your setup.cfg has CRLFs. Something is odd about how albion builds the string from setup.ini.
If you mean my ~/.config/albion/albion.cfg, no, I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain CRLF. If yours does, it was you who introduced it. Can't speak for your SETUP.INI, but mine doesn't contain it either. Nor does the one from the demo.

Editing setup.ini from

Code:
[SYSTEM]^M
VESA=Y^M
FPU=Y^M 
SOURCE_PATH=.\CD\ALBION\^M
LANGUAGE=2^M 
to:
Code:
[SYSTEM]^M
VESA=Y^M
FPU=Y^M 
SOURCE_PATH=.\CD\ALBION\
LANGUAGE=2^M 
fixes the \r
and the game loads from shell and gui.
If you could printf / cout the string passed to
open("/home/user/MyDocs/games/Albion/cd/albion/\r/xldlibs/fonts0.xld", O_RDONLY)
to the console or better yet to the gui, people can see the actual path that is built from albion.cfg and setup.ini.
I really see no need for that. You can figure out how the path is built by reading the instructions. Using the last version the setup is really simple and you don't need to do anything but copy a folder from the game CD.

cheers! this is one of the great games.
Yeah enjoy