Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Shortly after the first internet tablet was announced but months before it was released, Nokia indicated that language support would not extend to Asian languges for space reasons. The OS needed to be trimmer.

That decision was perfectly understandable.

I'm sure many users will cheer the arrival of CJK capability. Anyway, the speakers of Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

As it happens, the language I personally am most interested in is Khmer (Cambodian). There aren't a lot of people who speak Khmer and probably the market for internet tablets in Cambodia is too small to be bothered with.

That's probably true of a hundred other languages, however.

While I'd like to be able to use my NIT to do everything any Linux computer can do, again I see the logic that that's not really one of the essential design goals of the internet tablets.

But being able to display most any web page is.

And if there are huge swaths of Unicode that can't be displayed on an internet tablet screen, that's a big asterisk that needs to be placed next to "internet" in the device name, with a footnote specifying "except in countries lacking Western or Chinese-ideograph-based scripts."

Unicode, internationalization, combining and displaying characters in complex scripts like Khmer (in which sometimes letters stack and the order the letters display isn't always the order in which they're keyed) or Indic languages -- this isn't really optional if one is making a device to display pages on the internet. It's required. IMO.

Nokia now sells several phones that have a Khmer interface, including Khmer Unicode input. (And 17 other Asian languages.)

If it can be squeezed into a phone, I think it'll fit into an internet tablet.
Read the full article.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
As it happens, the language I personally am most interested in is Khmer (Cambodian). There aren't a lot of people who speak Khmer and probably the market for internet tablets in Cambodia is too small to be bothered with.
There are quite a lot of people in Thailand who speak Khmer...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
http://gjiten.garage.maemo.org/

Check out this, coupled with CJK support... i'm just wondering how to fit almost 100MB more on my N800 though... (without formating a card to ext2 and booting from it :|)

Unicode support should be a basic requirement these days. Even if the device is not sold in non-extended-latin-alphabet markets, there are a lot of people who use or want to learn new non-western languages, too.

(btw, hi everyone, new to the board here [~waves hands~])

Here in Korea, there are no Nokias, but I'm having an N800 sent to me from Finland. It will arouse some interest where I work, I expect.

I'm guessing CJK support does not yet include hand writing recognition, though?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by baeksu View Post
Speaking of functionality, nor OS200x includes HWR at all

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Any idea if Vietnamese characters will show up correctly ?
for example, this page will display like the picture below:

Originally Posted by baeksu View Post
Unicode support should be a basic requirement these days. Even if the device is not sold in non-extended-latin-alphabet markets, there are a lot of people who use or want to learn new non-western languages, too.

(btw, hi everyone, new to the board here [~waves hands~])

Here in Korea, there are no Nokias, but I'm having an N800 sent to me from Finland. It will arouse some interest where I work, I expect.

hey whats up? are you really a baeksu? hehe I guess you'll have alot of freetime to play around with the n810 then. and yea CKJ support should be pretty standard. but I guess there is a language update for the n810. so it should be fine. where in korea are you?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
this is, btw, a drawback of the new hardware keyboard: its only available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish-Portuguese, Scandinavian and Russian, and I dont see any chance to upgrade it via .install-files

Originally Posted by kingka View Post
hey whats up? are you really a baeksu? hehe I guess you'll have alot of freetime to play around with the n810 then. and yea CKJ support should be pretty standard. but I guess there is a language update for the n810. so it should be fine. where in korea are you?
I was baeksu, but now I spend my days as a wage slave remembering those happy days (baeksu is Korean slang for an unemployed slacker).

I live in Suwon, work in Anyang. How about you?

Another Korean here, although I'm in San Diego and technically Korean-American with emphasis on American (left Korea when I was 13, a looooong time ago). I love this board and my N800. Best electronic gadget I ever bought!

My N800: OS2008, Fanoush's initfs, SanDisk 4Gig x 2 SDHC, BoxWave FlexSkin and Sync Charger, Homebrew External Power Pack (4xAA NiMH Rechargeable 2400 mA)

Greetings from Sunny San Diego, California!