Closed Thread
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
@RevdKathy, thank you.

I'm quite a new member to this community, I have done some things with older NITs, but my real involvement started with n900.

My primary occupation at the moment is studying at DTU, playing with Nokia mobile phones and tablets (in milab)

Why I would like to become part of the council? I can provide user&developer insight plus I don't often get emotional: I believe in listening to others (and telling them they have no idea what they are talking about, if this is the case; but not before they are heard). I think that this may be of certain value in the interesting times that this community will soon experience.

PS. I'm not a hippie as @RevdKathy suggests There is time for having fun and doing serious work.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
hope you'll find time to answer the questions I've been putting to all the candidates.
Which I think are a great idea. Not only they help voters, but I believe they also help would-be candidates. They're much more specific than a generic "steps to take in the next 6 months", and still generic enough to be hard to answer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
@RevdKathy, thank you.
Don't forget to reply to the email on maemo-community :-)

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-03-14 at 20:10. Reason: Unable to use keyboard.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As late in the game as it is, I am excited to see the rush of new candidates this weekend. I believe we are seeing at least some of the right diversity a representative body needs.

Welcome aboard, candidates! And not only respond to the nomination on the maemo-community list, but please answer the questions Jaffa has posed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
PS. I'm not a hippie as @RevdKathy suggests There is time for having fun and doing serious work.
I wasn't suggesting that... just the cute (Qt?) hairstyle in your avatar.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Which I think are a great idea. Not only they help voters, but I believe they also help would-be candidates. They're much more specific than a generic "steps to take in the next 6 months", and still generic enough to be hard to answer
Get your answers ready before accepting your nomination ;-)

h0pbeat, I am VERY impressed with your answers to Jaffa's questions. Kudos.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Get your answers ready before accepting your nomination ;-)
Why? Is this a new requirement for a nomination?

I was spending my Sunday preparing my answers as courtesy to you and because I thought they were well thought out qualifiers for any candidate. I didn't see this as a requirement for nomination until I just saw this post. What is the significance of the winking emoticon at the end of your above, quoted post?

I have no problem answering as I have already expressed my opinion on many of these subjects in my posts here on talk.maemo.org and I am in the process of searching these posts so please have some patience.

As to:

There has to be one place to officially declare your candidacy. The mailing list is it. At the time the rules were laid down, it was the most logical place.

I don't see any need to change that. Yes, there are more users on tmo than the mailing list, but the elections are open to anyone. If a prospective council member chooses not to stand because it means subscribing to a relatively low traffic mailing list, then I'd question the commitment they'd be able to bring to the role.

The election is plastered all over tmo, planet.maemo.org, IRC, the mailing list, IRC and Twitter.

I don't see any reason to turn this into yet another "mailing list" vs. "forum" discussion. However, I welcome your candidacy and hope you'll find time to answer the questions I've been putting to all the candidates.
The question I posed in the post that you quoted was before I decided to nominate myself. It was asked not to start a debate and not because I wanted to nominate myself, it was asked in order to nominate another member.

As you can see in my following posts I followed the procedure that was outlined in this thread and no further discussion was required.

BTW; I am from the old school when it comes to posting etiquette. As I said before, I feel your questions are very good and I think that candidates answers to them will allow for a more informed decision by more voting members.

Because of this old schooling I believe it is rude to other viewers of this thread not to post the questions that we keep referring to.
However they are your questions and you posted them to a mailing list that not all members belong to. This old schooling in me reminds me that it would also be rude of me to post your content here because of that.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I realize this could be problematic timezone-wise, but I wish we could do a pre-election session on IRC (I hesitate to use the word debate), moderated by Quim...

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I look forward to reading the Q&A here on tmo, at least I hope to. It sounds as though they are very interesting.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council, election