Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
the install scripts worked like a charm, everything is set up and running after a few clicks.
Sweet, I'm glad to hear that!

i had a few issues with the resolution of the VM, whenever i tried to change it the refresh rate switched to something nonsensical. though that might have something to do with me trying on a vista sp0 machine (long story...).
LOL, I have some of those stories.... Not sure why the VM resolution would have issues switching -- but if you want a smaller res; the easiest method would be to edit the /etc/xorg/xconfig.xorg (I think that is the name of the file) and remove the 1280x1024 and just leave 1024x768 (or whatever) in as your resolution. It should then use that as the resolution.

regardless, since cygwin/x will happily accomodate xephyr and qtcreator, i can now mess around with qt-applications for fremantle seamlessly from my windows desktop.
WOW! I have to say, you have just made me sit back and totally rethink my direction . See: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31892

Also, QT/Creator is available as a Native Windows app; so you don't have to run it as a Cygwin/x application. Unless you want to.

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
i don't know if my update scripts - script failed but i had a problem with eula-script. Went to command line and found out that Setup_Scratch_Sources didn't have +x needed for its execution. and also not found -stuff:

maemo@maemo-desktop:~/Maemo_Install/Scripts/Install$ sh Nokia_EULA
Nokia_EULA: 3: source: not found
Nokia_EULA: 4: CheckNetwork: not found
Nokia_EULA: 5: UpdateScripts: not found
Nokia_EULA: 6: CheckforScratchbox: not found
Please wait, loading Nokia EULA website...

-------------------------------------------------------------
When you close the browser & editor this window will close.
-------------------------------------------------------------
e: same problem with Install_Nokia_Binaries

just forget this if i've messed things myself up.

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-09-20 at 06:57.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i don't know if my update scripts - script failed but i had a problem with eula-script. Went to command line and found out that Setup_Scratch_Sources didn't have +x needed for its execution. and also not found -stuff:

e: same problem with Install_Nokia_Binaries

just forget this if i've messed things myself up.
It sounds like you don't have the network working. Network is required as it will pull down like another 500 megs of files from Nokia's server.

The initial script would have pulled down fixed scripts (including fixing the Setup_Scratch_Sources). Part of the design was to be self updating so that if I made some mistake (like forgetting the +x on that script) I could easily fix it so that you don't have to pull down another "600" megs of a VM image. ;-D

Nathan.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
WOW! I have to say, you have just made me sit back and totally rethink my direction . See: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31892

Also, QT/Creator is available as a Native Windows app; so you don't have to run it as a Cygwin/x application. Unless you want to.
i'm glad to hear that i have given you new ideas

the beauty about using qtcreator from the VM is that you only have to set DISPLAY in the project's run environment to :2.0 and hit Run, instead of having to worry about syncing two repositories.

and it's not much slower, at least as far as i can tell.
i am currently at a stage where i'm trying to get my bearings, since i have no experience with C++ yet. i come from the "easy" side (java/.net) so im only doing very basic stuff wich doesn't compile long

in any case, the main issue is the speed of the virtual machine, if it's usable inside it's most likely gonna work over a remote X on the VM host. that's just a little more overhead (different story for graphic-intense projects of course)
i'm using it on a pentium 4 and find it usable for what little i am doing, and that's an ancient CPU in todays terms

i'm glad to hear that i have given you new ideas

the beauty about using qtcreator from the VM is that you only have to set DISPLAY in the project's run environment to :2.0 and hit Run, instead of having to worry about syncing two repositories.

and it's not much slower, at least as far as i can tell.
i am currently at a stage where i'm trying to get my bearings, since i have no experience with C++ yet. i come from the "easy" side (java/.net) so im only doing very basic stuff wich doesn't compile long

in any case, the main issue is the speed of the virtual machine, if it's usable inside it's most likely gonna work over a remote X on the VM host. that's just a little more overhead (different story for graphic-intense projects of course)
i'm using it on a pentium 4 and find it usable for what little i am doing, and that's an ancient CPU in todays terms
Actually VJ speed is pretty good on my machine; I just hate the mouse "grab" issue. And it would be nice to use QT outside the VM to do all the development.

Rsync would sync the source code very quickly; probably be un-noticeable.

Display; all I have to do is grab the machines ip and pass that into the vm, so it would be ip:2.0 (if I recall correctly). So that shouldn't be an issue either.

Nathan

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
hm i think i didn't explain what i'm doing very well

i'm not running xephyr or qtcreator under cygwin (that would probably require a rebuild), i'm just sending their output to the XWin server of cygwin/x.

this is the short VM startup skript (to demonstrate):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=windowshost:0.0
Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -kb &
gnome-terminal --command="/bin/bash -c '~/Maemo_Install/Scripts/Development/Start_x86_Scratchbox'" &
/home/maemo/qtsdk-2009.03/bin/qtcreator &
so, for qtcreator everything stays the same, :2 is the xephyr inside the VM, only that xephyr itself forwards to XWin.
this way, there's no mouse grab issue, either.

of course, it still suffers a performance hit, so to develop natively under windows setting up scripts and a qtcreator-plugin as you are planning is the only way.

but what about maemo-specific libraries? can they be imported to work with qtcreator under windows? as i said i'm new to C++, so this might be as easy as including the header files...

but what about maemo-specific libraries? can they be imported to work with qtcreator under windows? as i said i'm new to C++, so this might be as easy as including the header files...
No.
if Nathan decide to go for a windows QtCreator plugin, he can't get rid of the virtual machine.
It is necessary to compile/build/debug code.
And a windows Xserver client will be necessary to see maemo sdk runtime (much like in a native linux development machine).

The Following User Says Thank You to karatchov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
We need to get some blogs to post an article that it is now easier than ever to start developing for maemo5 if your a windows user. I'm going to email a few that I know of, and everyone should do the same!

Any updates on this? Will this use the latest release of the SDK?

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
OKay, I tried redownloading the 7z and when I run step 1 (install scratchbox, a window opens for a second and then closes). And there is no Maemo Install folder on the desktop. Step 2 does the same thing.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and I followed the instructions on the wiki. Any help greatly appreciated.

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7