Is it possible to disable "/usr/bin/Xorg -logfile /tmp/Xorg.0.log -logverbose 1 -nolisten tcp -noreset -s 0" process or is this needed for some applications? It uses 5%-8% of the CPU most of the time and is not really necessary in my eyes.
If it is possible to disable it without a problem how can I prevent it to start after a reboot?
Thanks.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmm. Iīm not completely sure, but if you like using your phone only from terminal then itīs probably useless to you =)

.edit
I think its the main process handling the ui/xwindows.

..edit
And itīs not only about logging it starts xorg but those options after that command just tell process where it should put it's log file. Google or some other can tell what the other options are.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-04 at 10:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
This is an ancient thread, but it's the only one I see on the issue. I myself have been wondering if there's any point to keep the logging going. I more than understand why Xorg itself it important - it runs the actual window system.

But does the log itself have any importance? I get the impression it would be better on battery life and everything else if xorg wasn't constantly asking for disk writes and such.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Germany
xorg only logs on startup.

The Following User Says Thank You to christoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
But does the log itself have any importance? I get the impression it would be better on battery life and everything else if xorg wasn't constantly asking for disk writes and such.
You'll notice the logfile is in /tmp. This is not a "real" folder on disc, and instead is just kept in memory, so the impact on battery life shouldn't be too bad. Plus it's not a very verbose log (mine is just 8k after 10 days of uptime), so it's not taking up much memory either.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-10-15 at 13:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Ahhh. Alright. Thank you. I was looking around in the XOrg wiki, but it's always nice to see how quickly answers come on here.

Especially the /tmp being in memory bit. I wouldn't have even known that was the case from the official X.Org documentation, or would've taken forever to find it.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Especially the /tmp being in memory bit. I wouldn't have even known that was the case from the official X.Org documentation, or would've taken forever to find it.
/tmp being in memory is a Maemo-specific thing, so you wouldn't have found it in the X.org docs.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I was wondering if you can change that line myself for other reasons. I would like to remove the "-nolisten tcp" so I can run desktop apps with output on the N900. I realise there are other ways to do it, but its faster to do it directly rather than over SSH.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
isn't xorg the display system?
therefore stopping it would kill the display

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
isn't xorg the display system?
therefore stopping it would kill the display
Yup, though it doesn't just kill the display, the N900 reboots : )

If you mess up the argument list you can quite easily end up in a reboot loop - flashing is the only fix.