Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
PM me bro.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
PM me bro.
will do. Booting up PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
.epub is the best Project Gutenberg format for most books. The wonderful Windows program Calibre has third-party add-ons that will remove Kindle drm and allow books to be converted to .epub format. FBreader works with.epub, but other readers such as Dorian are prettier but lack some of its functionality, so it's a good idea to try several readers and see which you prefer.

You can get many audiobooks for free from libraries, and the MP3 versions can often be copied directly over to a player and kept permanently.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
By the way, if you have been watching the excellent "Youtube download script" here, I found this guy for Stephen King...

http://m.youtube.com/user/osirisligh...ient=mv-google

If you download the video in mp4 format, "-f 18" instead of "-f 5", Xmms will play the audio quite nicely to follow along with your reading.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
By the way, if you have been watching the excellent "Youtube download script" here, I found this guy for Stephen King...

http://m.youtube.com/user/osirisligh...ient=mv-google

If you download the video in mp4 format, "-f 18" instead of "-f 5", Xmms will play the audio quite nicely to follow along with your reading.
Nice, thanks. PM sent too, took me a while to find the older Kindle for PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
However, I could never get rotated reading to work properly. If anyone has this working well, I'd be interested to hear your settings.
No particular settings, just use FBReader's rotate button (don't use the X server rotation if you have it available) until it's in the orientation you want and possibly enter full-screen mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The wonderful Windows program Calibre
Calibre is cross-platform :-)

has third-party add-ons that will remove Kindle drm and allow books to be converted to .epub format.
Didn't know that, thanks. I might allow myself to be "swindled" in this case (I already have a Kindle, use it mostly for DRM-free tech books from ORA, Packt and other sane publishers but never felt comfortable paying money for books I won't be able to read elsewhere - Amazon's loss I guess).

FBreader works with.epub, but other readers such as Dorian are prettier but lack some of its functionality, so it's a good idea to try several readers and see which you prefer.
I'd be very happy for someone to come along and correct me, but I think on Diablo FBReader and kchmviewer are about all we have :-(

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Type Dorian in app mgr and test your own hypothesis.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Type Dorian in app mgr and test your own hypothesis.
Done, "No matches found". "apt-cache search dorian" and http://maemo.org/packages/view/dorian/ seem to concur, there's no such thing...

Using Evince, this is the largest I can get the font without having to constantly scroll back and forth each line.

I think I'm going to try converting some .pdf books into .chm format using either ABC Amber PDF Converter or PDF2CHM and see how this might look.

Edit:

Umm.... PDF2CHM is $499.95? Lol whut?

Last edited by Addison; 2012-06-19 at 19:41.