Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I dont give a **** who leaves Jolla, there are more important things going on in the world !

ps Jolla or Sailffish is not getting worse or better with or without x.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It all boils down to just one question: Does it really matter to you?

I'd almost bet money that your answer will be (or should be) no, it doesn't affect you directly.

People change jobs for no reason. Just because you've not done it, doesn't mean others cannot.
Easy question and risky bet.. honestly, it does matter to me. I cannot quantify this in statistics or measures of personal gain but,
I want Sailfish to be successful as there is already way too much of Android around us in phones, cars, TV's.

Looking forward to the secure version of Sailfish / embedded version later where Symbian dropped the ball with help of Elop within Nokia. Hope that explains why I think Marc should play or be allowed to play the role he took upon him untill he concludes “mission complete” (not saying he didn't but I see no celebration or reason for that).

And I don't mean the only the speeches but the real 95% of time work. I can do without speeches and I even feel slightly embarrassed when watching a marketing speech by Marc followed by an attempt to make a “people powered” wave.

However it seems the world needs a company to be impersonated by such speech giving, hype creating people. Just like you can hardly do without a web site or stack of business cards.
By that critic I am not saying Marc did not play other very useful roles in this small company or that after seeing his behind the scene job reduced / finsished satisfactory that he shouldn't be allowed / asked to give those speeches to the press now and then or use them to introduce his successor.
At some point certain responsbility is coming with being the face of the company for some time, especially when being people powered.

On the “changing job for no reason”, I can't believe it. And I would never hire persons that can change job for no reason at all. I would even question their thinking capabilities.
On the other hand I know from experience and from being personally affected that the manager types attracted by a pot of investors money can sneak in and easily change job when the money is running out.

I strongly believe that working for a company which mission aligns with one's ideology or ethics is more important than a higher salary.
If that is secondary to you that does not mean it is to others.
Although money seems to be a primary drive for job hopping, making it secondary should especially apply to higher levels like politicians who's actions leave lives of many people impacted on the long term.
Strangely they also find many personal and structural reasons to abandon their spot in a heartbeat not seldomly leaving a mess for others to clean up or coop with for years to come.

Back to Jolla, I can make an assessment of the value of Sailfish and the 120+ employees that make it happen without fancy speeches from Marc. Just like I have my reasonable idea about why or why not the Neo900.

Having written too much on the subject I promise that in this thread I will try not to care any further and pretend like people just change job for no reason at all.

Finally I hope the world, just like you do, won't care to try to read doom signals in it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I don’t understand why the departure of a key player wouldn’t be news or why we wouldn’t be curious as to what's really going on. Dillon put himself in the public eye, and the people want to know what's up and what impact it’ll have on the future.

The best way to move people past this is to satisfy their curiosity...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
He moved from Jolla to Investoreye for an unknown reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Let's just remember something : this is not so much about Marc himself;
this is more about the idea that was transmitted by him and his actions during his time at jolla. No interest in personal reasons whatsoever.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Sorry, the competition is murderous: I am prepared to give yearly speech at Slush for free
I'd go out there, grow a cool beard and tell people to join the tribe/movement. currently am constantly convince my android/iphone friends to sailfish, its not working well :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
currently am constantly convince my android/iphone friends to sailfish, its not working well :P
You've just talked yourself out of the job

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I'm caught between a few mixed thoughts on the issue.
And agree with many here who at 1st glance seem at loggerheads.

From a consumer and personal view
-The fact I personally never got swept up in the devices or platform.
[In greatest part due to my geographic location and zero sales / support naturally would leave anyone without an attachment emotional or otherwise] really makes me give a royal fart for all the hoopla.

From an objective view
-I am however concerned over the fact there are few alternatives to the monster corporate norms and Jolla has tried to be one of those alternatives and consequently regarding in part my 1st point...
I do not see any joy in watching an alternative [to WP, Iphone, or Android] have a hard time of it in any way, I don't get my jollies watching their struggle in all the varieties of ways they are.
I would like them to succeed.

From the ancient law of ..."If it looks like a _ _ _ _ ,feels like a _ _ _ _, and smells like a _ _ _ _..... odds are it is..."
thanks to the info that Jelly just provided.
I think it easier now to surmise the state of things with zero actual real info officially coming from public relations....

Making it much easier coming to some real hard, crystal clear reasons:
as to the "why"... Marc left
and
the potential for unseen [ for us viewers anyway.. not inside the company itself] turmoil underneath the calm surface of Jolla itself.

Take a good look at what Investoreye "is"
Someone who is ideology driven doesn't just "leave"..
and go to a place which is an ideological "dream factory"
without reason.
He is still driven by his belief.
So just pertaining to Marc..
it is an "either" "or"...
either...
he left to pursue his ideological purpose through the new job medium of Investoreye because it wasn't being fulfilled at Jolla.
[which in the bigger scheme of Jolla doesn't bode well for what may come down the pipe to be announced in the short or long term future]
or
considering what Investoreye "is" ...His move is part of a bigger, slicker plan... with the intent of it working "with" Jolla...[it is doubtful...but is possible ..so it cannot be ruled out...it being the only other reason]

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-09-11 at 10:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You've just talked yourself out of the job
I need a bigger PR machine to compete with apple and samsung I needs more resources :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks endso for the excellent sum-up. You are spot on, as always.

One thing I would add on top of that, and that pertains to the official silence.
It does not bode well.

Any company tries to promote itself. When whatever happens, especially when sh1t happens, the company's PR department works overtime to spin it to maximise profit or at least minimise damage. That's just how business works.

If the PR machine goes silent, it usually suggest one or both of the two possible explanations:
1) The sh1t is so bad that they could not come up with any spin to make it look good; or
2) The PR department is staffed with a bunch of dilettantes who do not know their noses from their ar$es.

If you do not believe me, just look at any instance of Jolla going quiet about anything in the past. The tablet fiasco? A typical case 1 scenario. The perenial lack of visible roadmap or estimates on any bug fixes? Case 2. Soon™? Case 2 again.

I do not give a flying duck about Marc or the actual reasons for his departure. But I do find it suspicious that an event of such magnitude did not result in a press conference or at least a press release. Silence is always bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: