Originally Posted by atilla View Post
hey folks.would we get flash ten with meego on our lovely n900?or is flash 10 definetly death for us and will never come?????
hah, you are dreaming now. first you might want to ask for a gui and a browser

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Lets wait for inputs from qgil on the Meego N900 UX, Apps etc.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please don't bug the people working here with questions/complaints about Maemo 5, open/closed software, official updates or MeeGo. There are plenty of threads for this just a click away.

The project discussed here is about getting the API, UX and apps of the first MeeGo device from Nokia running in the N900. For insiders, this basically means making Harmattan run in the N900. The Harmattan content is not public yet and nobody really knows how good the releases of this initiative will be. Follow the MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900 thread to have an idea of the worst case scenario to be expected.

How can you help? Please be constructive. Be ready to test and provide feedback. And be patient: this project can't dliver faster than the MeeGo & Harmattan projects themselves.

Thank you!

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Please don't bug the people working here with questions/complaints about Maemo 5, open/closed software, official updates or MeeGo. There are plenty of threads for this just a click away.
Isn't the open/closed debate quite valid for this thread? Especially if you are talking about a community distro trying to run a commercial UX and apps

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
The project discussed here is about getting the API, UX and apps of the first MeeGo device from Nokia running in the N900. For insiders, this basically means making Harmattan run in the N900. The Harmattan content is not public yet and nobody really knows how good the releases of this initiative will be. Follow the MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900 thread to have an idea of the worst case scenario to be expected.

How can you help? Please be constructive. Be ready to test and provide feedback. And be patient: this project can't dliver faster than the MeeGo & Harmattan projects themselves.

Thank you!
I'd just like to jump in with some analysis, so people can put this in context.

As a start, I would like to remind everyone of what it says on http://www.slideshare.net/peterschne...ogy-highlights , slide 3. Things that stay the same in Maemo 5 and Maemo 6.

OMAP3, OpenGL ES, WVGA.

N900 has OMAP3.

OpenGL ES, in MeeGo for N900 hardware adaptation, we're already using the same SGX libraries and kernel drivers as Harmattan does. On a 2.6.33 kernel.

WVGA, well, N900 is WVGA so no issue there.

This is a very different situation than the case with Fremantle and N8x0 for several reasons.

If the same invitations stand as did with N8x0 - I don't expect anything has changed, we don't have to worry about licensing regarding binaries to make things work. If there's need to get access to things, I'm sure Nokia would be helpful.

With the Maemo on OMAP work for Maemo 5 (Beagle, Zoom2 port), we have scripts to make Maemo images/rootfs. I don't presume much has changed in Harmattan (release machinery is difficult to rewrite). With the community OBS in works, we have build machinery.

Fiasco-gen is released so we can produce firmware images. We have kexec, bootmenu and a kernel maintained in the MeeGo project.

So, that's immediate analysis.

It is difficult to say anything exact before Harmattan content is out - so keep that in mind. But let your (technical) imagination run wild about how difficult this would be.

Having a hardware adaptation project on the side we can collaborate with, helps a lot. A lot of shared components.

I think it's best to revisit this topic again when we have Harmattan content - it is always better to discuss something tangible and it is hard working blind.

EDIT: One thing that is important to remember. This is closer to a 'hardware adaptation' for N900 for Harmattan. It is similar to 'Maemo on beagle' except better access to components and more similar device hardware.

It isn't another 'Mer' either. That's MeeGo's job now - and we won't be seeing a MeeGo (rpm meego)-based Nokia OS release for a while yet we want to run on our N900. When that comes, it would be a matter of dropping it on top of the N900 hardware adaptation, MeeGo Core and UX.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-25 at 20:07.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'd love to get involved. So far I've been unable to figure out where though. I keep an eye on the meego forums waiting for something to pop up that looks like I can do and someone else isn't already working on.
You and EVERYONE are always welcome at http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_User_Eng...mework_Project

I would LOVE the help!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
ok, so i am starting to wrap my head around what is going on with meego and n900

You have the Nokia Meego Devices team which really has little to do with the n900 at all and is primarily working on the next nokia meego device(s)

then you have the meego n900 hardware adaptation team which is trying to make meego as it is restructured, etc, from maemo work on the n900

and then you have stskeeps here trying to lead a community effort to get the entire nokia meego software stack(aka Harmattan) running on the n900 through creative image building and bundling of the nokia harmattan stuff with the open meego n900 hardware adaptation

is that right?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
ok, so i am starting to wrap my head around what is going on with meego and n900

You have the Nokia Meego Devices team which really has little to do with the n900 at all and is primarily working on the next nokia meego device(s)
Close, same group/team also handles Fremantle releases.

then you have the meego n900 hardware adaptation team which is trying to make meego as it is restructured, etc, from maemo work on the n900
Yes, we take the portable MeeGo system, add components, firmware, scripts and configurations to make it work. What's added is the hardware adaptation.

and then you have stskeeps here trying to lead a community effort to get the entire nokia meego software stack(aka Harmattan) running on the n900 through creative image building and bundling of the nokia harmattan stuff with the open meego n900 hardware adaptation
Harmattan's the continuation of Fremantle as such (at least it's Debian based last I heard). I guess best way to think of it is the MeeGo APIs running on top of a more evolved Fremantle system (by that, think operating system, not UI).

But yes, the idea is then having taking this, putting in the meego n900 hardware adaptation + some various patches and stuff and hopefully, having a working image.

It isn't far fetched, really.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You know, I would really love to see what's being discussed visually diagrammed. Some of this is just too confusing for those of us on the peripheral and lacking the constant exposure of people like Stskeeps... a single diagram could make things so much clearer than the hundreds of posts on the subject.

I'm a Visio whiz and would be more than happy to manage such a diagram, but if I took it on I would need a lot of help from the technical experts...

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Harmattan's the continuation of Fremantle as such (at least it's Debian based last I heard). I guess best way to think of it is the MeeGo APIs running on top of a more evolved Fremantle system (by that, think operating system, not UI).
From my perspective this just gets more confusing by the minute. Maybe it's just my ignorance showing, but to me the whole "it's MeeGo, but uses deb instead of rpm" is a recipe for disaster. FWIW I don't even like calling a hybrid "MeeGo". Heck, call it "MaeMee" or something that sets it clearly apart from pure Maemo or pure MeeGo.

I realize some here are gonna give me grief for being so pedantic, but we're talking about branding here, where semantics have significant impact.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-05-25 at 20:33.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
The project discussed here is about getting the API, UX and apps of the first MeeGo device from Nokia running in the N900. For insiders, this basically means making Harmattan run in the N900. The Harmattan content is not public yet and nobody really knows how good the releases of this initiative will be.
I'm ready to test and give feedback but what I need to know is this. What MeeGo UX components are coming to this community edition? When will that be answered?

If this is not the thread, where do we ask about other third-party products like Skype an, OVI Maps and Flash 10.1?

I think you need to rename this thread because it is misleading. When you use MeeGo generically I think it should mean the whole ball of wax, MeeGo core, hardware adaptation, UX and 3rd party apps. ALL of it, otherwise be specific which components you are referring to.

As such this thread should be renamed to "N900 Community support for the future MeeGo UX release from Nokia". So let's be clear I don't want YOU or anyone else to say MeeGo will run on the N900 supported or not unless you mean EVERYTHING. And BTW, QT doesn't count at all.

Hopefully that will reduce the confusion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego