Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
I'm doing research..
I've got 4 N900's (1 factory seal) ... I'm getting gitty like I did when I first saw the N900.

If it can run linux via emulation.. wow!

While watching the launch video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlaC0__f6hA)
I made some notes:

So it has good points:
Physical keyboard (which is a touchpad)
MicroSD
3GB ram (maybe more with a swap file?)
32GB on board
13 megapixel camera/ 2mp front
blackberry assitence ( voice command) seams better then apple's and android's.
HDMI/VGA out via optional cabel
3450 mAH largest battery on a mobile?
solid construction, stainless steal frame
1440×1440 pixels, 453 PPI largest screen size on a mobile?
Amazon & Blackberry app store
android app sideloading
Blackberry blend (PC/Mac/iOS/Android remote integration with passport's data, send/recieve email/sms/etc)
Good CPU/GPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
CPU Krait 400, 2.2 GHz quad-core
GPU Adreno 330

Bad
shame it doesn't have a stylus (like N900)
I'm not convienced on the passport form factor.. (I like a compact sliding keyboard ie n900/droid).
And usb for HDMI/VGA, out is a shame it didn't have it's own port/cable.
no function key on keyboard, ie no HW copy and paste :'(
battery not user removable.

It's a good comeback phone, good mix of performance, extras and a few cost cutting.
'Working wide' is it's moto, and I think it hits the business/mobile computing market very well.
It's on special on BB's site for 599USD which I think is a good price for a newly released phone

edit:
Supported Qt modules
http://developer.blackberry.com/nati...d_modules.html

Last edited by bingomion; 2014-12-14 at 06:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/12/tech...ft-blackberry/
They just keep on making the right moves!

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
no copy and paste :'(
Actually the passport does have copy and paste and the the keyboard functioning as a touchpad can move the cursor to perform copy and paste.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Actually the passport does have copy and paste and the the keyboard functioning as a touchpad can move the cursor to perform copy and paste.
So, can I select the text and copy it to the clipboard using the keyboard (like on the N900 - press shift, select text with arrow keys, press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V)?

Because I think that's what he meant.

EDIT: Here's how it was done on classic Blackberry devices. IMHO it is one of the main functions of a hardware keyboard.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-12-14 at 01:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
So, can I select the text and copy it to the clipboard using the keyboard (like on the N900 - press shift, select text with arrow keys, press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V)?

Because I think that's what he meant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c30sSM1Ulc
This video demonstrates copy and paste. You can use the touchpad to move the cursor and select text.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c30sSM1Ulc
This video demonstrates copy and paste. You can use the touchpad to move the cursor and select text.
So the answer is No You cannot Copy & Paste text using the keyboard.

You need to press a software button (Shift) on the screen first and then a small 'Copy' icon that appears near the text. That doesn't differ much from touch-only devices.

Thanks for the answer.
Well, it is a bit disappointing, but not that much of a surprise, since the Passport is not a keyboard device, but rather a keyboard-touch hybrid. In the reviews, what reviewers usually complain about is the inability to type without looking at phone, because you don't have any special characters (,-?!:...) on there, so it is not that different from touch-only devices overall. I haven't tried the Passport myself, but it may be an interesting experience. I don't think it will replace keyboard devices, but a vast majority of mobile users uses touch screen keyboard anyway, so they probably won't mind.

Let's hope they at least introduce the keyboard Copy&Paste functionality in the Blackberry Classic!

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-12-14 at 01:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I stand corrected on lipstick I actually had mean Silica. The misunderstandings come from Sailfish advertising open source but are not fully open source
Here's more details on what is closed.
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sai...n_OSS_packages
This also keeps many open source types on Android.
That said it's my favorite. Nicer interface than Android, better multitasking than android. Not giving everything to google like mainstream google android although your carrier knows quite a lot.

Interesting on how copy paste works on Blackberry. Sailfish had it's own copy/paste challenges.

I am amused on Blackberry being more GNU like being microkernel (like GNU HURD microkernel), true in that way but more important to them is openness.

Blackberry has some nice stuff, good luck on the comback and fighting off an android/iOS duopoly.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Sorry I did mean copy and paste via keyboard.

I was thinking if another button (vol +/-) could be mapped to CTRL/SHIFT.
But because it's no open the chances of doing it low level would zero
A real shame

Edit: signed up to: http://community.qnx.com

Last edited by bingomion; 2014-12-14 at 06:31.

Sorry for being off-topic, but I just checked how it is done on Jolla:

When you are using the touchscreen keyboard, all selected text gets automatically copied in the clipboard. However, when you connect an external keyboard (via Bluetooth), the Copy&Paste behaviour suddenly changes - you can of course select text with Shift+arrow keys, but the text does not get copied until you press Ctrl+C. And Ctrl-V then works for pasting as you would expect from a computer. Such behavior might be the same on BB10 devices when you connect an external keyboard, but why I'm saying this is that it sounds very promising that using TOHKBD should be very close to the real keyboard typing experience (still one day left to order ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I am seriously thinking in buy BB Classic soon, real unix, screen, keyb and trackpad are strong reasons.
However I have a concern about the Android emulation, as Android have many specific application and I need some of them.

How stable is the system executing android apps?
Performance?

Any information about the emulation will be welcome, because in the official page, they don't tell much about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperezg For This Useful Post:

Tags
blackberry, blackberryvisa