Who cares how open it is if it is SO BEHIND THE CURVE in terms of cellular technology? No maps program that even comes, very little use of the front camera, no speech recognition, spell check, a decent map application, these are not new concepts - these are things that are a must in modern day mobile phones.

#1 The N900 is not 100% open source, not even close, anyone who claims that to be true is a liar.
#2 We cannot program these things mentioned above into the operating system, because those parts of the OS are CLOSED.

So in reality - who cares how "open it is" - I am more concerned with what it can and can't do. My N900 can't do a lot of things an iPhone 4S or Android phone can. To flip the question - what can my N900 do that an iPhone 4S or Android cannot? True Linux OS with root access? Cool!

Now what can't a Jailbroken iPhone 4s or "rooted" Android do that the N900 can?

If anything I am a Nokia fanboy - I had the 1st gen iPhone, returned it in a few days. Set up a few Android tablets for my friends, but I am just being a realist.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
Sounds like the 4s is the phone for you.. Why not? It's an awesome phone...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Who cares how open it is if it is SO BEHIND THE CURVE in terms of cellular technology? No maps program that even comes, very little use of the front camera, no speech recognition, spell check, a decent map application, these are not new concepts - these are things that are a must in modern day mobile phones.
Let me rephrase that for you: these things are a must in handheld multimedia toys. Every last item you just mentioned has Absolutely Nothing to do with cellular technology.

Why don't you just get a high-end tablet? It'll do all the things you want, far better than any cell phone, and you can still use your existing cell phone for making calls. (You know, the thing that actually does use cellular technology...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Sounds like the 4s is the phone for you.. Why not? It's an awesome phone...
I`d say let`s stop moaning about what iPhone 4s can or can`t do and whether it is or it is not some best stuff available...compared to my N9 it`s a boring, (though pretty much works as intended, I`m admitting), i-depending toy...

2 things: iPhone 4s is a damn OVERPRICED machine, unable to do some simple things like USB mass storage or BT File Transfer (of course it can do this, but you need another damn iPhone)
also, the design is kinda ageing, a 3.5 inch display is just small...and I`m not saying the 3.9 in on N9 is something hilarious, but it just all feels a lot better when you`re holding the two in your hands...

finally, AFAIK, there`s no available OS providing a true lifetime-free voice navigation, except the Nokia` s....it may sound like a gimmick, but for me it`s a crucial thing as I travel a lot across EU but my provider gives me unlimited data plan only within SVK...with Nokia Maps and Drive, it just works...

and yes, I do think the iPhone 5 is expected to be a "real bomb", both SW-wise and design-wise, but I`m laughing at that 1000 USD price tag just now...it`s ridiculous in my opinion, to give such a damn money for a mobile phone...
I paid some 160 EUR for my new, unlocked N9...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-03-04 at 17:11.

Well, we do have a fart app now. I don't see what the big deal is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post

#1 The N900 is not 100% open source, not even close, anyone who claims that to be true is a liar.
#2 We cannot program these things mentioned above into the operating system, because those parts of the OS are CLOSED.

So in reality - who cares how "open it is" - I am more concerned with what it can and can't do. My N900 can't do a lot of things an iPhone 4S or Android phone can. To flip the question - what can my N900 do that an iPhone 4S or Android cannot? True Linux OS with root access? Cool!

Now what can't a Jailbroken iPhone 4s or "rooted" Android do that the N900 can?

If anything I am a Nokia fanboy - I had the 1st gen iPhone, returned it in a few days. Set up a few Android tablets for my friends, but I am just being a realist.
Well well well. I don't care at all, but if you want something different get the 808 PureView (if you can) or an N8. They are both rather "old school" Nokia with HW features (usb2go, HDMI, FM RX/TX etc and of course Camera + real satnav) you simply don't find anywhere else.

Othervise there is only one alternative, the SGSII. One more actually, the G Note.

Either way, the iPhone, SGSII/Note and N8/808 are firmly placed on each corner. They cannot be compared IMO. Then you could also get a Lumia, 800 or 900. Supersmooth phones, so they say. And the N9 is also there.

I don't understand the iPhone is an alternative at all. Whenever I hold one and use one, I just feel disgusted. Realistically my next phone will be a Lumia 800/900. I may end up disliking it, I don't know, but I'm not overly excited over my N9 either. There will be nothing like the N900 ever again, might as well get used to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Well well well. I don't care at all, but if you want something different get the 808 PureView (if you can) or an N8. They are both rather "old school" Nokia with HW features (usb2go, HDMI, FM RX/TX etc and of course Camera + real satnav) you simply don't find anywhere else.

Othervise there is only one alternative, the SGSII. One more actually, the G Note.

Either way, the iPhone, SGSII/Note and N8/808 are firmly placed on each corner. They cannot be compared IMO. Then you could also get a Lumia, 800 or 900. Supersmooth phones, so they say. And the N9 is also there.

I don't understand the iPhone is an alternative at all. Whenever I hold one and use one, I just feel disgusted. Realistically my next phone will be a Lumia 800/900. I may end up disliking it, I don't know, but I'm not overly excited over my N9 either. There will be nothing like the N900 ever again, might as well get used to it.
Lumia is just as bad as an iphone if you ask me. Think about it, what is actually less disgusting about the Lumia? Same closed system but even less apps and even less capable out of the box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
nokia 808
best camera
best gpu
best smartphone os
best dsp
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you lose all of your credibility in a single post...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ sweden
Itīs funny,first everybody whining over mr.elop then you recommend him to buy a N9!.My first phone was a nokia1011 and i have stuck with nokia ever since but now just how they treat their customers especially the meamo and meego community i will never buy another nokia ever! i hope they go bankruptcy because of their stupidity,my self i have moved on to android BUT! i will never sell my n900 and i will always follow this community.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Lumia is just as bad as an iphone if you ask me. Think about it, what is actually less disgusting about the Lumia? Same closed system but even less apps and even less capable out of the box.
I have tried the iPhone, can't stand it. I have never tried the Lumia, not really, other than hold it in my hand.

But "out of the box". What does that really mean today in this post- N900 age? The N9 "out of the box" is nothing special. Very few apps, a slowish UI, pauses when launching apps, poor e-mail, poor facebook app. The N900 "out of the box" was so much more, even though it got nothing of the sleekness of the N9. For me the N8 gives the best "out of the box" experience of all devices today.

But maybe you are right, maybe the Lumia is no better than the iPhone. But I have to find out the hard way.

Last edited by specc; 2012-03-05 at 16:44.