Notices

Poll: Have you had this issue ?
Poll Options
Have you had this issue ?

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
If you are talking about an issue that disappears after short time then this is not a bug... it's just load! If your hildon-home freezes for several minutes (not desktop! you will still be able to switch desktops or open taskswitcher or menu...) and does not come back responsive without crashing (all icons disappear) or being restarted, here is your bug

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

PLEASE do not comment like "me too" or something! Vote for it if you like. bugs.maemo.org is a technical bug tracker not forums.

[edit] just to mention it, python stuff (like recaller) makes hildon-home slow or even freeze sometime as the python widgets eat up memory (and this cannot be fixed) even if asked to free memory they seem to leak.
This seems to be more like the issue I'm describing. hildon-home just locks up for a while, and just as you describe, swiping, etc work, just not clicking on notifications. I've voted for the big and I do believe this might be the issue.

I don't use almost any python stuff, with the exception being witter, but it doesn't matter if that's running/has been running or not, the issue is still there.

Maemo uses python for quite a few things I've noticed, python will quite frequently pop up in the top CPU usage in conky (usually less than 10 or 15%) for no apparent reason and then go away again so...

Originally Posted by azz View Post
I reflashed my device and the problem went away...don't mean to say that it is the only way to fix but it did the job...
I always reflash for device updates...so this was a clean device when I started seeing the issues.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I do not know about others but throughout all fw my n900 has stalled more or less when trying to multi-task while its downloading/installing stuff with app manager.
Same here, but I'd expect it, that's a lot of work for the device to focus on.

This is getting rather annoying an has been a problem is all firmwares. In the last few days it's gotten to the point where the desktop freezes within an hour of the phone starting up. No icons can be used on the desktop and when this happens I also get the problem that I don't get informed of text messages in any way, shape or form. Another thing that happens when the desktop freezes is the alarm never goes off.

All these problems adding up are getting very annoying and making me consider Android

This has happened to me, I noticed that only happens on days in which to set the phone wake up by the alarm. After a few hours the phone gets really slow and unusable, watching the processes by conky I see that the CPU is 100%, and there are various processes 20 to 40%. sorry for english of google translate...

Once it happened that the phone had become unusable, I tried restart and appeared a white screen with green writing: Malfunction, the phone shutdown in 10s O_O

solutions?

this is happening right now!

hildon-home @ 40%
Facebook @ 20%
dbus-deamon @ 15%
Xorg @ 12%

really frustrating..

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by ste.richards View Post
This is getting rather annoying an has been a problem is all firmwares. In the last few days it's gotten to the point where the desktop freezes within an hour of the phone starting up. No icons can be used on the desktop and when this happens I also get the problem that I don't get informed of text messages in any way, shape or form. Another thing that happens when the desktop freezes is the alarm never goes off.

All these problems adding up are getting very annoying and making me consider Android
I also have this problem but only since the PR1.2, I noticed that it appears when I select the portrait mode in the phone application
No problem in landscape mode, very strange....

Happened to me few times after i pluged the phone off the charger. Really annoying bug.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
it would help to help you if you'd be more specific about your device's conditions when the screen freezes. installed apps, have you made any modifications, etc. the key thing is beeing able to reproduce the freezing.is there a bug about this issue? if so can you provide the bug number?

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by PaK View Post
this is happening right now!

hildon-home @ 40%
Facebook @ 20%
dbus-deamon @ 15%
Xorg @ 12%

really frustrating..
From my experience, I guess the problem lies with facebook widget?? I used to have similar problem so I removed facebook widget from desktop and don't have problems no more.