Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Hi there,

Two days ago, all new messages stopped displaying in the corresponding Harmattan application. No SMS, no instant messages, nothing. If I receive a SMS or an instant message, the notification does appear in the Events screen, along with the preview of the first few words of the message and the contact name, but when I tap on it to show the entire message in the application, nothing is there. If I send a SMS, it will show up in the history, but I'm not sure my contacts will receive it (tests were unsuccessful for the moment, but not sure my contacts have their phone with them currently), and if I close the application then re-open it, the message is not there anymore.

It only appeared recently (I don't remember installing anything in the last two days except Easy Chroot and Easy Debian Chroot, which I don't think are related to the issue). All messages in history sent or received before were still displayed: it happens only for new outcoming and incoming messages.

I tried deleting all messages on my device, rebooting, but no success. I still have space available on the device. Any ideas? I guess there is a database file I could delete somewhere?

This is kind of urgent as I have a flight in 2 hours and it would be great if I could have working sms before leaving the country, as live communications will be much more expensive abroad.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

We have a solution, thanks to the folks in the thread!

1. To backup contacts and solve the tracker issue:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Alright, backup your contacts and any important texts then open up x-term!

THE FOLLOWING WILL DELETE ALL YOUR CONTACTS AND MESSAGES! MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN TO THE BACKUP ADVICE ABOVE!

Code:
devel-su 
rootme
tracker-control -e
/sbin/reboot
Let the phone restart, give it a minute or two to get its bearings, then start up your Messages app and test out a text
NB: one might want to save messages in Nokia Suite before, as the procedure will delete them. MMS ad instant messages won't be saved though. You can also use Nokia Suite to synchronize the contacts, but it is always a good thing to also have a backup on the device itself.

2. Hence... Follow this procedure to restore the contacts after erasing tracker:

Originally Posted by bnwg View Post
If you use native export contacts function from N9, all the contacts should be saved as vcf individually under /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts

You can fire up xterm and do the following
cd /home/user/MyDocs/Contacts
cat *.vcf > filename.vcf

Then you should have one vcf containing all the contacts you export.
Use file browser navigate to that vcf file and tap it, select all to import then it should be good.

Hope I remember that correctly
Credits go to godofwar424, bnwf, thedead1440 and HanzBlix. I hope I did not forgot anybody here, or please let me know.

Thanks a lot again dudes.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-08 at 11:10.

Had exact same issue yesterday. Messages didn't show up even after reboot, waited hours in messages, nothing,almost gave up and reflashed, but then rebooted again and opened straight away messages. It said no messages at first but then after few secs boom they started to load and show up after each other. So reboot and good luck.

Unfortunately, I rebooted several (plenty of) times already. :/

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
if its not being fixed with a reboot can u confirm by checking if your gallery and music app are functioning correctly to rule out a general tracker issue...

P.S. 1000 not out... I'm here to stay baby

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
I guess on Harmattan it's different, but in Fremantle one had to delete file /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db and reboot phone when this occured (seems like similar bugs still happen in Harmattan). Do you have this file or similar? also, try running "ls -a /home/user" (it lists directories in /home/user), what are the directories there?

Gallery and Music apps are working fine.

Thee output of ls -a /home/user is attached.

Indeed I remember a file had to be deleted on the N900, I guess/hope something similar could be done on the N9.

Thanks for your help guys.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Output.txt (1.0 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-07 at 09:48.

Well i would ask you to maybe try deleting /home/user/.qmf/

BUT doing so would result in all your messages and contacts being deleted...

Also can you post the tracker logs from /home/user/.local/share/

Maybe we can see if tracker is getting "stuck" at any point...

I could try deleting .qmf but I first have to find a way to reimport the contacts from the file I just exported them to. Harmattan only lets importing them from sim, online, or other device. :/ I have no other bluetooth device right now, and exporting to sim would result in data loss.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-07 at 12:01.

Well then I've a solution for you

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82979

Link corrected

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-08-07 at 15:54.