Notices

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmmmm..
Because using your operating systemīs theme as app skin is something that is taught in every single UX-desinging class. Apps that seemingly go with main operating systems theme are regarded as something that every single devel should be encouraged to do :|

For more about this follow recent market speeches about windows mobile and how user canīt see where apps start and where OS ends.

I do not totally agree or like this but to me itīs something that seems to be something that most UI designers want.
Thats what I would want, I like things to look the same. I dont want X different programs on my phone looking like the colours of a rainbow all with weird buttons and "unique looks".

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Finland
For any one viewing this topic for pointers on UI design, I propose to put your/his/her applications up for a possibility to be redesigned by Andrew Zhilin. Maybe it will help alleviate this itch this thread is describing.

http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/sf2011/

I myself don't at the moment remember using any really bad designs on my day to day use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miqu For This Useful Post:
How are designs implimented into applications?
I have some web design skills and understand that the conversations application is styled using html and css, if others are also styled like this then I could be of some assistance.

Last edited by jackdoor; 2011-03-17 at 22:47.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by jackdoor View Post
How are designs implimented into applications?
I have some web design skills and understand that the conversations application is styles using html and css, if others are also styled like this then I could be of some assistance.
I don't know enough about web design, but from what I have understood, QML is supposed to be easy for people with backgrounds like yours.

If you can come up with good QML UIs for some of the Qt apps here, I'm sure the devs (me included) will thank you.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
It uses less power? I hadn't noticed. Black is great. It was good enough for terminals for decades. Perversely, the X terminal defaults to white.

Mish.
I also hate it that terminal is default white. So un-linux. I always set it to green on black. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Its much harder o write a nice looking application than just write a standard one.
Most programmes also are not very good designers (including myself).
Either your skills are on programming or designing. There are only a few people who are good in both.
Compared to commercial projects, open source projects are often run by only one person which gives them a big disadvantage.

If course I can (and do) have a look on iPhone apps and try to adapt parts of it, but without the right skills (incl. GUI programming wise) its challenging.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

I would be happy to have a crack at making a application UI.

How would I go about designing the UI for an existing app using the qt creator and what licence would I need?

There's nothing more confusing to "normal" users of computers than non-standard interfaces. Seriously, when they've learned what a window looks like, what a button looks like, what a text field looks like, they're completely helpless if someone changes the theme, let alone a nonstandard interface...

Not that N900 is a device for normal users, so yeah go ahead. Also, klingon fonts are in Maemo4 repos, they look cool.

Tags
bada rox, just shoot me