Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 sounds quite well

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
+1 on the limiting it to new apps, it can get confusing to voters how much work has been done for the competition and is unfair on new submissions when competing against something that is much more polished.
what about apps, that has been released years ago, and havent been maintained or even dont do their functions?

I vote for an "Best update" (or "Long start" or whatever) category for such apps. There will be stimul for developing, and chance to compete with others

Last edited by Custodian; 2012-05-17 at 13:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by helex View Post
The name MeeGo is simply outdated.
Read again... "MaeGo"

Okay, then lets start to think about the categories.
Should we have as many categories as main prizes (N950s)?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Read again... "MaeGo"

Okay, then lets start to think about the categories.
Should we have as many categories as main prizes (N950s)?
20 different categories?!

Mmh... I would say lets consider at maximum 7 categories
  • +1 categorie for updates to existing applications
  • +1 categorie for portings of old applications from the N900 (or older) to the N9
  • +1 categorie for Tablets (all maemo based Tablets until the N810) and all other Tablets and open source projects with official Qt support

So we would get 10 categories (perhaps fewer because many developers have left the community) and have 20 devices.

I would say, 1 device at each category as main prize and the remaining devices are spread depending how many contributors we get in each category. At example a games category with 20 entrys and a Office category with only 3. We need to discuss a system how to spread the remaining 10 devices but I would say 3 N9(50) for a category with 20 entrys would be more fairer in comparsion to only a single device.

Hm, something like this. I'm not sure. It's a idea. Does anyone out there like it?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Last year we had 8 categories (http://competition.meetmeego.org/) plus the beginner category.
The probem with your third category is, that we can't test these apps due to lack of hardware (other tablets)...
We have 25 N950, so we should have about 12 categories.

I like your idea to spread the devices depending on the amount of submissions in each category, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
As for Coding Competition, I *think* (= it's just a suggestion) that it would be great to recognize multi-platform programs, i.e. ones that are (and will) be developed constantly for both Maemo 5 and Harmattan, at least.

The more platform-independent code, the better - after start of COBS, it should be even much easier to target multiple platforms, so we should already promote good practices.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for Coding Competition, I *think* (= it's just a suggestion) that it would be great to recognize multi-platform programs, i.e. ones that are (and will) be developed constantly for both Maemo 5 and Harmattan, at least.

The more platform-independent code, the better - after start of COBS, it should be even much easier to target multiple platforms, so we should already promote good practices.
Yep. I'd also put weight in apps being cross-platform. Maybe the theme of the competition could be cross platform / portability? For example with Qt that isn't even hard to do since just by using Qt you're writing for multiple platforms by default.

Personally I'd drop updates to existing applications from the competition unless it's close to a complete rewrite. At least I would like to see *new* interesting apps as a results of this competition.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, I would say long term updates are rather important. IMHO an incrementally developed and up to date application > half finished on-off application that goes unmaintained a while after release.

Of course, but it sounds like good candidate for Community Awards, not exactly Coding Competition. the latter, both historically and ideologically, was always focused on influencing creation of *new* things.

Now, it can also promote good coding practices, via focus on multiple target platforms.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I'm in, hope it will be interesting

Originally Posted by Estel View Post

Well, it's already quite easy to dev both for S^3 and Meego, just a question of target, I would say even too easy (just resolution and icons changes). Then about Maemo/Meego... I don't know, I just started to dev in Qt/Qml few months ago...

Last edited by pipould; 2012-05-18 at 09:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to pipould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hey guys!

I have a bunch of good ideas and stuff that'd be nice to do. Such as, releasing some of the unreleased apps for Harmattan, backporting my apps for Maemo 5, and I also have some new ideas to implement.

However, I already received an N950 from the original meego.com device program. Am I still eligible for this?

I of course wouldn't want another N950, but I could definitely use an N9.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas