http://hothardware.com/news/android-...rhM1NKQ.reddit

The good: It's a qwerty slider in 2015!!!

The bad, it's BB's bizarre resolution. So not a horizontal device.

Still, it's nice to see they still see a market in hwkb's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post

The bad, it's BB's bizarre resolution. So not a horizontal device.
Wut. It's a standard QHD display. 2560x1440. It's not 1440x1440.

It'll sell way more if it has an unlocked bootloader / is rootable. Also only way I would possibly be interested.

Regardless, it ought to sell more than any of their BB10 era devices.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
It'll sell way more if it has an unlocked bootloader / is rootable. Also only way I would possibly be interested.
How likely is that to be true?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How likely is that to be true?
For it to be generally unlocked, probably not very as they'll still want to push their 'secure' services through it.

However hopefully you'll either be able to buy a key, or buy factory unlocked versions.

... or maybe it will be unlocked, and they'll sell a locked down version for the corporate market.

It's impossible to tell, but I have little confidence that they'll get it right. It'd be really sad if they're all locked down.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've yet to meet anyone with a rooted Android device never mind a typical Blackberry owner. It's almost as small a requirement as people who want keyboards.

Sure, if you ask people on TMO if they want a rootable device with a keyboard you'll get a high percentage but to be polite, we're not living in the real world.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I've yet to meet anyone with a rooted Android device never mind a typical Blackberry owner. It's almost as small a requirement as people who want keyboards.

Sure, if you ask people on TMO if they want a rootable device with a keyboard you'll get a high percentage but to be polite, we're not living in the real world.
I know lots. Almost all of whom have nothing to do with coding, IT or tech generally.

The now 100s of millions of people using third party ROMs would also seem to disagree.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I know lots. Almost all of whom have nothing to do with coding, IT or tech generally.

The now 100s of millions of people using third party ROMs would also seem to disagree.
Cyanogenmod apparently has about 50 million users. Again I've not met anyone using it but I live in a fairly rural town of about 15000 and most tech people I mix with are web people. Android itself is fairly rare in my circles as opposed to iPhone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
For it to be generally unlocked, probably not very as they'll still want to push their 'secure' services through it.

However hopefully you'll either be able to buy a key, or buy factory unlocked versions.

... or maybe it will be unlocked, and they'll sell a locked down version for the corporate market.

It's impossible to tell, but I have little confidence that they'll get it right. It'd be really sad if they're all locked down.
I think you misunderstand what I meant. Historically and rather unfortunately, the best selling devices since 2010 or so have not been unlocked nor with a bootloader that was easily alterable.

It adds features that you and I like; the layman doesn't even know nor care what that means.

I think the sad realization that the things that we desire most, hardware keyboards, unlocked everything and the ability to tinker with the device as we see fit is lost on the majority.

So saying that it would make a difference; I doubt that highly. And that's... a rather sad state of affairs.

This hardware keyboard slider coming out from BlackBerry with Google's blessing probably means that it'll have the full compliment of gApps, certifications and invariably so, locked down. But to be honest, I was a bigger fan of the QNX based BB10 OS than the Android OS.

It just seems like a reversal of their original plans to save their company. I like the device, but it just reminds me of the woefully underpowered Dell Venue Pro.

btw @Aegis, I run Cyanogenmod 12.1S Nightlies on my OnePlus One. There are certainly a bit of power users out there - I'm not arguing against them, but I'm well aware that we're a minority.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think you misunderstand what I meant. Historically and rather unfortunately, the best selling devices since 2010 or so have not been unlocked nor with a bootloader that was easily alterable.
2010-13 is very different from 2014-now. The vast majority of big-selling relatively high end Android smartphones in the last year to 18 months are easily unlockable / rootable. Very easily.

However, given BB's history, I suspect they'll actively try to completely lock down any version they either don't offer unlocked, or offer a key / service to unlock. This simply isn't something other big global brands do anymore, because their customers hate it.

A lot of people don't even want root for 3rd party ROMs ... they just want to install apps or functionality to the phone which require root.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
2010-13 is very different from 2014-now. The vast majority of big-selling relatively high end Android smartphones in the last year to 18 months are easily unlockable / rootable. Very easily.
I think the mass produced, mass consumed devices did not include the popular devices that you're talking about. It's true, even the Nexus series is easily unlocked and rooted - I'd argue that most folks that bought those phones that could be easily rooted/unlocked had never done so. 50 million Cyanogenmod and these folks are looking at the next 1 billion already. Drop in the bucket...

However, given BB's history, I suspect they'll actively try to completely lock down any version they either don't offer unlocked, or offer a key / service to unlock. This simply isn't something other big global brands do anymore, because their customers hate it.
Agree 100% here.

A lot of people don't even want root for 3rd party ROMs ... they just want to install apps or functionality to the phone which require root.
We're going to disagree here. Once a bunch of people figure out that privacy features they do not have with AOSP exist in other ROM's - the ability to block a phone call or add them to my blacklist is perhaps the simplest, but best feature in a ROM not in AOSP that makes me happy and made me seek out ROM's since my first Android device - Samsung Captivate.

But at the core, we actually agree. Some folks want those things - but let's be honest. It's much smaller than we'd like to admit. Niche products that we love to death always seem to die. Psion, N900, Zaurus... technically superior devices that died. Why? Because they didn't garner critical support from the masses.

BlackBerry has a loyal following. Imagine their feeling that BlackBerry has now produced an Android device? Talk about sleeping with the enemy! That's like Nokia producing an Android tablet!

Oh wait...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: